What's the difference between green waste and brown waste for my compost?

Please give me examples of each.

I never put put / bones or animal waste in my compost, but I read alot about green waste and brown waste and they seem the same - what's the difference?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Browns are Nitrogen rich and Greens are carbon rich. You need a balance of each to get good compost.

Greens are things like kitchen scraps: veggie and fruit peelings, eggshells, coffee grounds. never add oils, processed foods, meats or dairy in your home pile.

Browns are things like wood chips, dry leaves, sticks, straw, and newspaper.

Greens tend to decompose quickly while browns take a bit more time. If your pile looks to dry, water it and add some greens, you probably need more nitrogen. If your pile is a smelly sloppy mess, you need more browns.

Small pieces of each will allow your compost to break down quickly, but be sure you turn your pile often so the air can circulate.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Compost Green Brown

• 4 years ago

Any vegetable waste will finally rot down in case you bury it, even if that is going to take nitrogen from the soil to finish that. To make compost you really want to positioned it in a heap above the floor , and layer the heap with soil as you flow, as you probably did. there is no want to characteristic worms - they're going to locate it by utilising themselves quickly adequate, and this way of worms you stumble on there'll be skinny pink ones, no longer the lengthy thicker pink ones that you regularly locate even as digging the backyard. The heap needs to be somewhat huge to artwork good, as rotting plant life produces warmth that aids the technique, so upload grass cuttings, shredded paper, however organic and organic plant depending waste you've.(no longer cooked food waste pastry etc or meats). it truly is way less complicated once you've some form of field to keep the heap tidy - how huge change into your plastic field? It needs to be a minimum of two feet wide, and must have ventilation holes so air can get in. and it may probably be positioned on the soil as you probably did, no longer no longer on a concrete base. go away the top obtainable so that you'll proceed to characteristic stuff all by the season. go away all of it summer season or perhaps until eventually next 365 days and also you should have effective compost.

• 1 decade ago

Green waste tends to be things that are natural. Such as fruit, grass clippings, etc... usually things from the kitchen, like tea bags, uncooked fruit and veg but also incorporates green things from the garden such as grass clippings.

Brown waste is compostable material that is not green waste, such as newspaper, straw, egg shells, bonemeal, more compost, soil, etc...

See the link. theres a table at the bottom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jenna
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

green is high in nitrogen which will make your compost cook

examples; food scraps, fresh grass clippings (note having too many will result in a stinky mucky pile)

brown stuff examples are; leaves, straw, hay, brush,

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Green = fresh grass clippings, kitchen scraps. Stuff that's still "green" and often moisture-laden.

Brown = twigs and sticks, hay, straw, dried grasses, etc. Stuff that died awhile ago, and is dry, and brown.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.