If the acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft per second per second?

If the acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft per second per second how far will a body have dropped at three seconds?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

32 ft/sec/sec means that after one second it will be falling at 32 ft/sec, after two seconds at 64 ft/sec and after three seconds at 96 ft/sec.

Finding out how far it has fallen after any period of time is a problem for integral calculus, but the answer is the simple formula Distance = 1/2 (the acceleration of gravity) multiplied by the square of the time = (32/2) * 3^2 = 16 * 9 = 144 feet.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Carol
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I would probably stick to those figure without using a formula, empirical evidence is always better (the real world). However as an Engineer, I can tell you that everything falls at 9.81 m/s/s. Most people use 10 metres per second per second. 9.81 is a figure from Newton. One Newton (N) is 9.81 Kilogrammes (Kg) incidentally (but try to forget that for now). Effectively we are measuring acceleration. Assuming no air friction. In the first second everthing dropped, travels 9.81 metres. Yet it accelerates at a rate of 9.81 m/s. It travels 9.81m further for every second it drops. So by the tenth second we are travelling at a speed of 9.81m x 10s = 98.1m/s. And have covered a distance of 9.81m x 10s x 10s = 981m. With no drag we would continue to accelerate. However there is always air friction, and this will affect every shape differently. We must therefore calculate a 'drag co-efficient' for the shape that is falling. This calculation is long and involved. You can look it up but I won't bore you any more than I have. Finally, (don't yawn) you need to draw a graph with your acceleration and your drag co-efficient. Where the lines meet will give you a speed which is your terminal velocity. This is the speed at which you stop accelerating Every shape has a different terminal velocity. Go into a head first dive and you can forget about the figures your instructor has given you. I can only hope the figure skydivers use, take this into account. The graph will also show you where and when terminal velocity is reached. Once you know your drag co-efficient you can put it into a formula with your newtonian acceleration, and work out your actual acceleration up to terminal velocity. Oh and by the way you could have picked something easier, even engineers write programs so they don't have to work this stuff out. You might be able to find a free program if you search it.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If the acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft per second per second?

If the acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft per second per second how far will a body have dropped at three seconds?

Source(s): acceleration due gravity 32 ft second: https://biturl.im/I1Kl0
  • 3 years ago

32 Ft Per Second Per Second

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

An 8 foot high object is standing up against a wall attached at the base, at a 90 degree angel to the floor (a Murphy Bed) , it breaks loose from the bottom where it has been attached. Approximately how much weight and at what speed would it be going when it hits the floor in a room with natural gravity.

skaufhold@yahoo.com

• 1 decade ago

S = 1/2 gt^2 = 1/2 *32 *3^2 = 144 m

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.