A deer ran into the side of my car this morning. Now my dome lights won't go off. Any ideas why?

It's a 92 Chrysler LeBaron Landau. The passenger side front window was shattered, the windshield is shattered in the passengers side corner and there is a small dent in the rear passenger side door. Dome lights, door lights, ignition keyhole light won't shut off. Does anyone know how to fix this?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I suggest that you look in the area the deer hit the car , under the hood and under the car. I think you'll find a wiring harness there was been hit and you've some strecthed or damaged wires.

Atleast your okay and best of luck

• 1 decade ago

This is most likely caused by the door being out of alignment now and not properly depressing the door jamb light switch. If you have insurance you are likely covered for a deer collision without your premium going up. Since the windows have to be replaced anyway, you might want to have the bodyshop straighten it all out. Until then you can artificially depress the switch with a strong tape to keep the battery from discharging.

• 1 decade ago

There are sensors in the doors that turn the lights off when they make contact. If the door is bent in such a way that this button isn't making contact the lights will not shut off. Look inside your door ways for the contact button and push on it, if the lights go out you know that's your problem and you can tape the button down temporarily with duct tape or something to get you by until you can get it fixed correctly.

• 1 decade ago

the door switches to turn dome light off and on run on a ground -apparently the switch or the wire was hit in the uh oh -if door will open find the lil switch and unhook it till car is fixed most switches are a plunger inside a tubeinside the door front-or drastic pull the ctsy fuse cig lighter dome nothing like that will work

Source(s): ase master tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The 'door ajar' switch on the side that was damaged is probably causing your problem.The sheet metal of the door contacts this switch and causes it to turn off the interior lamps and if the sheet metal is bent and distorted then the switch might not be functioning properly.Your best bet would be to locate and remove the fuse that powers the lamps that stay on until you can have is repaired. When the offending lamps are on simply remove fuses until the lamps go off. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Sounds like maybe the door jam switch isnt being pressed down by the door anymore? Maybe took pressure off the switch with impact and door is no longer closing switch. The door jam switch should be located on the door frame between the hinges.

• 4 years ago

It was obviously jealous of everyone eating turkey for Thanksgiving. Some people would really appreciate some dear meat, and not even having to work to kill the deer would be a treat. Haha, I'm sorry this happened to you. Enjoy your Thanksgiving anyway!

• 1 decade ago

Sounds like it may be a short.

Try to reset it by taking the battery cables off for about 60 seconds then put them back on. If that doesn't fix the issue then it sounds like a wire might be touching metal somewhere on the car.

• Bob H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There's a chance that the gang wires going into the door was squashed and caused a short.

• 1 decade ago

there is switch in the door jam it may not be in contact with the door and maybe just need adjusting

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.