Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Are white kids adopted into "other than white" familys?

It came to mind recently that I've seen "white" parents including "other than white" children within their family members.

Yet I cannot recall the reverse situation and that begs my question.

If the answer is negative then it poses many more interesting questions to be answered.

Favorite Answer

What old man said is pretty much on the money.

When I was adopting my son there were quite a few Caucasian couples looking to adopt. The wait for a Caucasian child can be years and costly. Therefore a lot of the couples choose to adopt bi-racial or African American babies. The other option of course is an international adoption

Source(s): me

Actually It happens more than people think. But here is the difference. Most white adoptions are more traditional(people looking to adopt a child). While "non white" adoptions usually happen after the adopting parent was first the child's Foster parent then adopts the child when the bio-parent forfeits custody,dies or is found completely unfit to care for the child and is striped of any parental rights. Its a long process but in most cases cheaper for the state and easier for the child who has developed a relationship with that parent.

It seems that it happens when the child is adopted by friends of the family or something, but no I don't think its typical for adoption agencies to place white children in non-white homes. I think one of the reasons is that the there are probably enough white couples wanting to adopt, who would prefer a white child. There are enough white couples to go around if that makes sense.

Well, usually there are not enough "white" children to go around. Two of my brothers adopted Guatemalan children. their reasons were the red tape involved in adopting domestically is so thick and deep by the time they would get the child it would take 3 to 4 years. If you are not a movie star it is almost impossible to adopt a baby of your own race.

Yes, I've known of several cases of nonwhite families who have formally adopted white children. It's rare but it does happen. Most of the time it's an informal adoption...or not an adoption per se but a case of surrogate parenting or letting the teenager "couch surf" at their place.

During my daughter's senior year, we had a friend of hers living with us because she was having some issues with her mother and it was either she stay with us or wind up on the street, so I was a subtitute mom for her that year. My mother did similar things for troubled neighborhood kids. This sort of thing is very common in nonwhite neighborhoods.

Ever watch American Dad...I love that Francine was adopted by Chinese people...

in all seriousness...It happens...I mean Nicole Richie was adopted by Lionel Richie...I think white kids would be adopted into "other than white" families as you put it when in reality there is no color involved but financially, and especially emotionally, they can properly take care of the child and give it the love and support it needs...when that happens I don't think color is an issue...

There is a huge imbalance, both within western countries and globally, with relatively high numbers of white parents hoping to adopt children, and relatively high numbers of non-white children up for adoption.

Generally "other than white" families get lots of babies by themselves :P (sorry for stereotyping!). Plus, most of the time they cannot afford to adopt (again sorry for stereotyping!). This answer both the stated and unstated questions.

being that there are people that adopt russian babies/children, and they tend to be white with blonde hair and light colored eyes. but as far as domestic adoptions, i think it's a rarity.

i have never noticed any but children need love and a family no matter what color they are and what color the family is that wants to love them and give them a good home