Nepal's living Goddess.....?

O.K. just read on yahoo news how this little girl is being worshipped as a living goddess as is customary to the Buddist religion. She retired early and all that blah blah blah....

So at the end of the article they said that Human Rights Activist are appealing to the Supreme Court to have this religious custom abolished...in another country. So here's my questions

A) what right do we have to say that this ancient tradition is inhumane? To me it doesn't seem too inhumane to me. No more inhumane as these parents that put their kids in showbiz for money.

B) How can the Supreme Court rule on this and make it so? I thought the Supreme Court was National not International.

C) Is any1 else sick of us American's sticking our noses into other countries business when we have sooo many problems here that need to be dealt with first?

Favorite Answer

yeah, america pisses me off. we destroyed our own cultures and are working REAL hard to do the same in other cultures. we are the worst when it comes to knowing how to treat kids. too.

I don't understand it either. I'm Buddhist & from my understanding is that it is just a small sect that believes & participates in this ritual of having living Goddesses-- but that is really not different at all than the Dalai Lama who was discovered when he was a small boy, taken to a palace & did not have a "normal" childhood. I'm not sure if it was a supreme court in another country who was trying to change this or not, as the article was fairly vague. I don't suspect they would stop the practice of discovery & enthroning new Lamas (Dalai Lama, Karmapa, etc).

????