If Venezuela declared war on Columbia, where would the U.S. stand?

Tensions between Columbia, Venezuela, and Equador are rising. If war was declared, would the U.S. (reluctantly of course, since American leaders usually are always reluctant for war) aid Columbia? (Think back to the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine, when America declared itself the only one to intervene in Latin America's affairs, and helped Panamanian rebels succeed from Columbia.)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Venezuela is still a supplier of oil for the US, so they are in a tight situation. If a war we're to occur and the US were to get involved, the US would lose their oil shipments thus sending the oil prices sky high and considering that oil is controlled by the OPEC cartel, increased productions from other members countries is unlikely since their goal is to keep prices high.

The oil would then be sold to China, a willing buyer and ally of Venezuela so a blockade may be tricky.

So my guess is that the US will support Columbia as it always did, selling or donating weaponry to combat Ecuador and Venezuela and perhaps aid it in a covert manner where they send in intelligence officers and planners, but the US fighting is unlikely. Also you have to factor in that the US forces are already stretched thin with the War in Iraq and Afghanistan and lets not forget maintaining a presence within the states to defend it in the event of an attack even if it's unlikely to happen.

Venezuela is a strategic partner for Russia and China, so you can be sure those two will have a presence and stir problems.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We have had an interventionist policy ever since the Truman Doctrine vilified the USSR. Communism has killed more people than the plague, I'm not denying that. But it's not our place to "secure freedoms" or "protect a people from their despotic leader" or any of the other numerous ploys war profiteers push to a blind public that's not willing to do any research of their own, but blindly follow their favorite talking head on TV to form their opinions. To answer your question, under the current administration, we would side with Columbia. Even though their government has proven time and time again to be full of corrupt seekers of wealth and power. But wait, that describes our government too, albeit not as bad, but with a scratch my back I'll scratch yours mentallity. Stop the madness, VOTE RON PAUL!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As we all know colombians have been at war for the past 40 years and as sad as it might sound, the civil unrest of my country is something that we have learned to live with. Just like Russia, Israel or the U.S.A. our soldiers know what they're doing and are very good at their job.

my answer to the question is simple, Colombians would win.

Venezuela would become Colombia's parking lot and Ecuadorians have never fired a gun, u could invade that country with a bb-gun, an avocato some duck tape and a plastic knife.

• 1 decade ago

u have to understand we have forces down in Columbia aiding in thier fight in their own fight with the drug war. Now with the developments over the weekend don't rule it out on an US invetervention but that would have depend on what causes the United States to intervene against Venezuala.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, we would help COLOMBIA...we help them now...there are a good amount of US Troops in Colombia as we speak...we have been helping train them to fight their 30 year old Civil War with the FARC, LFN, and other groups to help stop the drug trade...Chavez is buddies with the FARC, so what he is really doing to Colombia is like Canada letting Bin Laden stay in their country...Chavez is mad because Colombia killed the second in Command of the FARC...Ecuador's government is siding with Chavez one, because they too are Leftist and two, Chavez gives them oil...from what I have read Colombia got permission to go one mile into Ecuador to kill Raul Reyes and Ecuador only said something about it when Chavez did...Colombia would destroy Venezuela....hell Chavez could not even win a coup in his own country...how will he win a war with outdated Russian weapons against American weapons?

Source(s): Holds Degree in History and Political Science...wife is Colombian
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

US WIll BACK ther Allies!

Beside Columbia has a better Millitary then CrackVesa

• 1 decade ago

Lets hope it doesent happen. Im supposed to be going to ecuador in the summer and I'd really like to still go.

• 1 decade ago

Very interesting question.Just for the record,American officials love war.It helps boost their bank accounts as many of them own large amounts of stock in or set on the boards of defense contractors (think Halliburton).At this point I think it would be very hard for the US to commit troops to any kind of conflict because of the Iraq and Afghanistan quagmire.That being said, putting troops in Latin America is part of a much larger plan (Google PNAC).Something to think about: with most of our military abroad, wouldn't it be a great time for a "terrorist" attack?Keep your eyes open and think think think.

Something else to consider.Chavez has been vilified by our government.I'm not defending him, but isn't that a perfect set up.Make him an enemy, then we'd be justified in our invasion of his oil rich country.Just a thought.....

• 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Knowing Bush, he'll want to stick his nose in somewhere and start bombing the bejesus out of someplace.

Where is irrelevant to him. He just likes ordering it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.