How detrimental is it to be late for a job interview?

I had a job interview a few weeks ago, and I was about 10 mins late because I got lost downtown. When I arrived, I apologized profusely and reassured them that it wasn't normal behavior for me to be late (I'm always the type of person that's 15 mins early). They seemed totally fine with it, and I felt... show more I had a job interview a few weeks ago, and I was about 10 mins late because I got lost downtown. When I arrived, I apologized profusely and reassured them that it wasn't normal behavior for me to be late (I'm always the type of person that's 15 mins early). They seemed totally fine with it, and I felt like the interview went exceedingly well. Before meeting, they said not to expect to be there that long (15 min screening process), and we had a great conversation that lasted almost an hour. They even discussed bringing me in the following week to meet more people and we set a tentative date (but they said they would call me to follow up with an exact time). I never heard from them after several voicemails and e-mails. I'm wondering if it was because I was late to the interview? For recruiters/HR people: how detrimental is it to be late to the interview? I'm hoping I was disqualified simply because I didn't have the experience, not over something preventable like being late.
Update: I'd like to again stress the fact that I'm never a late person. I always leave 30 minutes before I need to, but I live in a city, and my train was extremely late, and then I got lost on top of that. In this case, it wasn't preventable, but I would understand why employers would disqualify a candidate... show more I'd like to again stress the fact that I'm never a late person. I always leave 30 minutes before I need to, but I live in a city, and my train was extremely late, and then I got lost on top of that. In this case, it wasn't preventable, but I would understand why employers would disqualify a candidate because of it. That's why I asked the question, to gauge how important it is to those responsible for interviewing and hiring people.