What is wrong with my 1998 Chevy Malibu?

Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but it seems to be guzzling the gas! I had the clamp for a fuel line pop off and replaced 2 weeks ago and a tune up done. Ever since the fuel line problem the check engine light comes on and my mileage sucks, literally. The diagnostic thing said there was a cylinder misfire (taken care of) and a signal failure(??).

Favorite Answer

take it to a shop

Was you ripped off? I don't think so. You said the seller told you that it needed a sensor (which you said you bought but did not install) and it needed a thermostat. If the seller told you that it needed a thermostat and you did not replace it and chose to drive it until it overheated and blew a head gasket then what makes you think it is the sellers fault and that you was ripped off? You have nothing to bellyache about. You did it, you fix it! Yes, unless you replace it yourself, replacing a blown head gasket is expensive. And no, I have never experienced that problem because I have always had sense enough not to continue driving with an overheated engine. But unfortunately, for some people, warning lights (aka idiot lights) are not idiot proof.

Check your plugs and wires,good wires and connections have a lot to do with how your engine preforms,how it runs and the gas mileage it gets. I recomend replacing both before getting into major work. Its simple and cheap!

Is there a gas leak those fuel, brake lines like to rot out by the gas tank.

Source(s): ASE Master tech