Is there a job just identifying bodies?

I have an unusual hobby of trying to identify jane and john does. Is there a paid job doing this? And what are the educational requirements. This is my dream job, if there is one available. I am currently a psych student.

I am looking for a career doing primarily researching databases and case files of missing people and matching them up with profile of the unidentified. I do this for free every day. I could maybe even get into poster distribution, facial reconstruction, or anything else related. I do not want to be a cop or a morge expert.

Favorite Answer

It depends upon the state.... Each state varies WHO does things and HOW they are done.

Shows like CSI have created this huge interest in forensic jobs. The only problem is that there has been no increase in demand for those jobs. Most county's don't even have there own coroner, much less a CSI department.

Community colleges have noticed this increase in interest and offer classes but the jobs are few and far between.

Uh, I believe that would fall under the Coroner's Office in the police/government office. You're a Psych student and you have this hobby? Seriously, it would fall under Coroner's Office, I believe.

Like someone above mention, it depends on state. Here where I live, there's a medical examiner, or coroner's investigator, forensic scientists.