How to teach her to relax at potty?

My daughter is two years and eight months. She just started potty training last week. It looks like she's getting good at holding pee in, but not at letting it go, so she runs around (that's how we know she needs to go) but does not actually use the potty but a few times a day.

I think she understands how to hold it in, but has not mastered relaxing. Is this common? How could I teach her?

Favorite Answer

I researched for something to take care of the same problem with my daughter. I found a safe stool with sides that made all the difference. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She loved doing things on her own and she still asks for the stool even though she has been trained a long time. Well worth it.

Hope this helps.

Just sit her on the toilet/potty after each meal and 2-3 hrly in the day, no more often. let her watch you and your partner going to the toilet as well. Just encourage, do not force. When sitting on the toilet turn on a tap, so she can hear water running, this may help.

Source(s): child health nurse