Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is Global Warming a Hoax?

The Sun Also Sets

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Climate Change: Not every scientist is part of Al Gore's mythical "consensus." Scientists worried about a new ice age seek funding to better observe something bigger than your SUV — the sun.

Related Topics: Global Warming

Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.

To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.

And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.

Kenneth Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada's National Research Council, is among those looking at the s

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Cochy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yep. The person who came up with the theory (originally) came out and said that he thinks the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and that the things that are being said are 100% false. If you look at Al Gore's temperature vs. CO2 graph and examine it... it's very easy to see that temperature actually RAISED before CO2 did. By a few hundred years!! They fail to mention the recent measurements of ice in the poles have increased. No one cares to mention that Antartica has grown bigger over the past hundred years. No one cares that the ocean is the #1 contributor of CO2 on Earth... what it releases in one day we couldn't release in a million years. Oh. And decay/poop? That too releases far more CO2 than we could ever dream of.

Yeah. Good stuff. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Just look around. How many people are making money off this ridiculous scam? Al Gore... "Hybrid" car makers... even the dang oil companies are. "Ethanol" fuel is a joke. Not only does it burn faster regular gas, but it rides up the cost of corn which has a HUGE economic impact (negative) on our food business. Let's not forget BP touting their "We love the environment. By our gas because we're researching new forms of energy." campaign. Total bull... we have the technology to completely change the power industry. But the multi-gazillion dollar oil companies shut all that down. They buy off patents and lock it up in their vault so that they stay in business.

Good stuff. Can't wait to get "taxed" on this unbelievable crap.

• 1 decade ago

The thing with people who refuses to accept AGW is that they believe/say it has to be EITHER the sun OR greenhouse gases (by human emissions). No credible climate scientist is working with only one variable since climate of course is more complex than that. In the models IPCC has used, both sun and greenhouse gases are included, as well as a number of other factors.

There is no doubt greenhouse gases affects earth climate. On the moon where there are no greenhouse gases the difference between day (when the sun shines) and night can be about 200 degrees Celsius!

On earth our average temperature would have been about -18 degrees Celsius without greenhouse gases instead of +15 degrees Celsius as they are today.

The question is whether an increase of 38% of CO2 (the most important greenhouse gas except for water vapor*) since preindustrial levels and 150% increase of Methane plus a number of VERY strong artificial greenhouse gases created by humans makes a difference for increasing the temperatures?

Another important question is what we think will happen in the future if we allow CO2 to continue to increase rapidly (like it is today)?

I believe the scientific conclusion that it does make a significant difference!

*We cannot affect water vapor but the percentage of water vapor increases in warmer air hence increases the warming. It only stays in our atmosphere for about 10 days though while CO2 accumulates and stays for centuries, Methane (20 times as powerful as CO2) for decades.

Edit to Cochy's answer:

I can see many errors in Cochy's answer (and a few ounces of truth ;-)). One of the worst disinformations is that the oceans releases more CO2 than humans do. It's true that the oceans "breathes" CO2 but so far it's actually a sink that sucks up some of human emissions. In fact, this is one of the scares if the temperatures continue to go up. That the oceans will start to become a net source of CO2 instead of a sink making temperatures rise even more.

The person who originally came up with this theory is dead! The theory was initiated in the late 19th century!

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

• Ben O
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is a difference between environmentalism and science. Environmentalism is a political movement which has always portrayed the effect of human activity on the environment in a negative way and as something that people should all feel guilty about. Environmentalists tend to overstate the scientific basis for their ideas.

The idea that humans are having a significant effect on the climate does not come from science. The optical properties of CO2 are understood well enough to know that CO2 alone will do hardly anything. The greenhouse theory relies on feedback mechanisms which are somewhat speculative to account for a human effect on climate.

• John
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think it is a hoax. The earth goes through cycles. That doesn't mean that there are not things we can do to make where we live and the planet better. Or that there are not real concerns that we need to find solutions to, but the whole panic around global warming is a hoax meant to scare people into believing a certain type of political and social thinking. I like to compare it to the religious last days mark of the beast people. "everyone do what I say because if you don't your screwed."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The politics of AGW are only going to get uglier. Proponents are beginning to feel the pressure and no doubt will become increasingly more rabid and deceptive as legitimate science backs them into a corner. The political majority, advocating this farce of a theory as time passes, are in grave danger of being overshadowed by the silent majority. Overcoming the well documented intimidation factor perpetuated by the environmental and liberal left, 400 well respected scientists from a variety of disciplines are finally coming forward with a story the public has, until now been unable to hear. If you are tired of the piety of the UN, and ego-centrists like the Reverend, Al Gore, I would strongly encourage you to check out the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works web site. I further encourage you to open your mind, and read the quotes of men who are not just experts, but men with courage having nothing to gain, but a beat down and smearing from the immensely powerful left, who own the media.

• Bethy4
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

With everything that has that so called "human touch" or it spurs the "human interest", there will be pros and cons, nay sayers and yeah sayers. The scientific study of this and the scientific study of that, but in the end it is the "human evaluation" that the humans have to either accept or discredit. So in my human sense, I do not believe it is a hoax and this conclusion wasn't derived from just what has been given to me in the media and other forms of communication, I draw my conclusion based on the changes, many that weren't so easy to accept, in the atmosphere around me, the unstable weather currents, etc., so we as the "Human Race", better come together, for the common good. God Bless.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

We KNOW the recent increase in temperature is not due to the Sun. Proof:

"Recent oppositely directed trends in solar

climate forcings and the global mean surface

air temperature", Lockwood and Frolich (2007), Proc. R. Soc. A

doi:10.1098/rspa.2007.1880

http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/proceedings_a...

News article at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6290228.stm

The bottom line:

"I wasn’t convinced by a person or any interest group—it was the data that got me. I was utterly convinced of this connection between the burning of fossil fuels and climate change. And I was convinced that if we didn’t do something about this, we would be in deep trouble.”

Vice Admiral Richard H. Truly, USN (Ret.)

Former NASA Administrator, Shuttle Astronaut

You don't have to be a liberal to know the truth:

"Former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich challenged fellow conservatives to stop resisting scientific evidence of global warming"

"National Review (the most prestigious conservative magazine) published a cover story calling on conservatives to shake off denial and get into the climate policy debate"

"Pat Robertson (very conservative Christian leader) 'It is getting hotter and the ice caps are melting and there is a build up of carbon dioxide in the air. We really need to do something on fossil fuels.”

"I believe there is now more than enough evidence of climate change to warrant an immediate and comprehensive - but considered - response. Anyone who disagrees is, in my view, still in denial."

Ford Motor Company CEO William Clay Ford, Jr.

"The science of global warming is clear. We know enough to act now. We must act now."

James Rogers, CEO of Charlotte-based Duke Energy.

• gcnp58
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You know what's weird is that you never ever read editorials like that in magazines like Eos or Physics Today or Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. It's only in business journals or American Petroleum Geologist. Clearly that demonstrates, as you believe, it is a hoax since businessmen have never ever done anything that would help profits but perhaps not in line with the best interests of most people.

What is even weirder is that these`scientists even have gotten the laws of physics to buy into their hoax. When the laws of physics find out and realize they have been duped, and that energy isn't conserved for instance, they are going to be extremely angry.

When you daughter gets older, show her this question to prove to her how smart you are.

Source(s): Oops, Kenneth Tapping is also a little pissed: http://technorati.com/posts/0EcreoBZUhqXTjvr3L309g... imagine that.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on what you mean by a hoax.

Humans are not causing the changes, at least I have yet to see evidence for that.

But there are changes happening. We just don't know exactly why things are warming and to what degree things are going to warm to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah... human induced global warming is a scam. al gore is a joke. do some research for yourself and stop listening to this green industry of politicians. (im all for recycling and stuff like that but im not willing to go back to the stone age so we can pretend its helping the earth)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.