Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do most Christians go to church on Sunday when the Bible says Saturday is the right day?

Update:

Let me add this bit: the Bible says to remember the 7th day to keep it holy. The Jews keep Saturday, obviously they were the ones given the commandments to in the first place, obviously Saturday is the correct day. Thats not the issue, I want REAL responses, not "oh but the bible doesn't say that!"

And obviously, were dealing with scripture here, people, responses without texts can't hold any water at all.

35 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are correct...the first day of the week is not the Sabbath. One of the things that I found interesting...in addition to the several good answers here in support of Sabbath being the 7th day of the week, a k a Saturday, is from a translation of the name Lucifer. Lucifer means light bearer, AND Day Star. The Day Star is also called the Sun. The "Holy Roman Empire" named Sunday Deis Solis...the Venerable day of the Sun...the first day of the week...and the day most Romans celebrated Apollo--Roman Sun God. So do we wish to serve the Sun--a created heavenly body, or to Serve the Son of Righteousness--our Creator?

Indeed, Christ was raised from the dead in the time period called the first day of the week...the Bible teaches that days were counted as evening to evening...that is why Sabbath starts not at midnight on Friday night, but on Friday at sunset. Even in death, Christ rested on the Sabbath. It is written that Christ kept the Sabbath, and salvation is of the Jew. When we truly follow Christ, we have no room to follow the contrary pagan traditions of man.

Source(s): Thomas Nelson NKJV for the translation of Lucifer.
  • 1 decade ago

A tradition was started based on false information (the Messiah did not rise on Sunday - he was resurrected by the Father at the end of the Sabbath after 3 days and 3 nights) they looked for him on the first day to the week - but he was not there. Scripture nowhere says he rose on the first day of the week!

The new testament church did not meet on Sundays.

Acts 20:7 is literally speaking of what we now call Saturday night.

1 Corinthians 16:2 speaks of getting out in the fields and setting aside some donations for the poor. Not a church service it's actually speaking of a work day.

Based on their false interpretations and their hatred for the Jews the church changed the day of worship in the 4th century.

How do we know that the calendar hasn't changed and the seventh day is really another day? We know the Messiah Yahshua kept the correct day in his lifetime. Since the first century there have been Jewish groups keeping the correct 7th day sabbath without a time break. The 7th day has not been lost, that's an excuse for people who would rather be disobedient or follow their own tradition.

Hebrews 4:9

There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of Yahweh.

• 6 years ago

My pastor and I are having this discussion as we speak. I proved through the bible The Word Of God that it never says to move the Sabbath to Sunday. The ten commandments state honor the Sabbath and keep it Holy. Which doesn't mean not to cook, or feed your animals. You and your animals must be sustained. It means to rest from labor and to worship the Lord meditating on Him, and what he has done for you, and what you should do for Him. The Jews went to church on this day as should we. People say Jesus changed the law. Well he did of sacrifice and forgiveness, no other laws were changed. The Pharisees accused Jesus of doing work on the Sabbath by healing people. His response was the Sabbath is made for men, I am the Lord of the Sabbath. Meaning the law does not apply to Me because I am God. The Sabbath was made to worship Me and do My Father's work. The Lord said it is right to do good on the Sabbath. If Billy Bob get's his tractor stuck on Saturday you should go pull him out, but don't work profit or labor yourself mentally or physically. Bring back Saturday Church Christians! Obey the Lord your God! Also the Sabbath is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

• Mary6 years agoReport

Thank you. simple, detailed and direct. thank u again. I will try my best to start honoring Saturday which I do anyway but will love to find a good worship place and attend. I'm seeking the will of God in all the ways that are important to him.

• 6 years ago

That is because:

1) The influences that was left upon most Christians from the Catholic Church that instituted Sunday worship.

2) Most Christians follow this false belief that just because Jesus died that the ten commandments were done away with. Not true!

(Matt. 5:17(

3) Most Christians think that just because Jesus rose on Sunday that it justifies Sunday as the Lord's day.

But I follow the truth that God made the Sabbath day on the seventh-day of the week, and that is truly the Lord's day. That day of the week was named as Saturday after the Saturn because Saturn has (or had) 7 moons. And the true Sabbath day is that day, Saturday.

Source(s): Sabbath keeping Christian.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Catholic Church decided to seperate itself from the Jews and began the pagan practice of Sunday worship. There is NOTHING Biblical about keeping Sunday at all.

I believe Ignatius of Antioch is the 1st of the start of the heresy that is 'Replacement Theology', Ignatius is claimed to be the first known Christian writer to argue in favor of Christianity's replacement of the Sabbath with Sunday:

" Be not seduced by strange doctrines nor by antiquated fables, which are profitless. For if even unto this day we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace.... If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newness of hope, no longer observing Sabbaths but fashioning their lives after the Lord's day, on which our life also arose through Him and through His death which some men deny ... how shall we be able to live apart from Him? ... It is monstrous to talk of Jesus Christ and to practise Judaism. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity — Ignatius to the Magnesians 8:1, 9:1-2, 10:3, Lightfoot translation.

It is the belief of many using a mountain of evidence that Ignatius didn't even write one of the 'epistles' he has been credited with. I believe Ignatius or at least his auto-biographer was an Anti-Semite since he contended that Jews were in league with the devil!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simple, people who go to church on Sunday are not Christian.

Only God has the right to set the parameters that define His people, His Church:

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Re 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Re 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

1John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

The 4th Commandment specifically states which day God made Holy:

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Take note that the justification for the commandment refers back to when the day was made holy:

Genesis 2:1 ¶ Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

It is easily proven that the justification for Sunday worship, being the resurrection of Messiah Yeshua on that day, is totally false, and it is especially important to understand just why the concept is false as we approach the pagan Easter celebration a month before the actual memorial, Passover, of Christ's death and resurrection actually should be celebrated from a Biblical perspective.

edit: JanetScoffer: how apt an avatar, how uneducated an answer. It is easily proven from the Bible that the days did not have names. They were numbered 1-7 or 1-6 then the Sabbath. The names of the days that we currently use are names from pagan gods and worship. Sunday, the day the pagans worshiped the sun, even on our present day calender is the 1st day of the week, not the 7th. Because the quesioner chose to say Saturday in order to be able to facilicate communication and avoid confusion is not a problem from a Biblical or historical standpoint. It is also easily proven that the Jewish Religion has kept the 7th day Sabbath from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday in an unbroken cycle from at least the time of Christ.

The fact that the Bible does not use the pagan name "Saturday" for the proper Sabbath day is not even worth an arugment. Despite the fact you got 7 thumbs up.....I think someone sits on those thumbs instead of doing an honest Bible study.

Edit: Here are some links for those wishing to do an honest study on this important subject:

http://www.cbcg.org/true_sabbath.htm

http://www.pcog.org/Default.asp?sitemapId=Literatu...

http://www.pcog.org/Default.asp?sitemapId=Literatu...

http://www.ucg.org/booklets/SS/

• 1 decade ago

The Bible does not say to worship on Saturday. God rested on the seventh day and make it holy, He then called it the Sabbath day and commanded His people the Jews to keep it holy. That is under the old law.

Now when Jesus charged the apostles to establish the church. He gave them the authority saying what ever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven, and what ever you allow on earth will be allowed in Heaven.

If you read the book of acts, you will notice that the apostles and the rest of the Church met on the first day of the week.

You see the Bible does not mention either Saturday or Sunday, but it does mention the Sabbath and the first day of the week.

God bless you

• About one month ago I and my family began honoring the Sabbath, yet still going to our church on Sunday. I just felt very convicted to honor the Sabbath; I'm 31 and I had never done it. It's kind of neat to sit around and do nothing all day. I get the cooking done before sundown on Friday, but we eat a lot of leftovers from Friday night's dinner to Saturday night's dinner.

• 1 decade ago

Anything that will go against the Jewish rituals and traditions (where the Bible was taken from their Book of Torah), the Christians and the Muslims as well will do it away. Christians made an excuse by having it on Sunday and Muslims do it on Fridays.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Sabbath was abolished by the Catholic church (canon 29, council of Laodecia, if you'd care to look it up). When Luther started the Reformation, he was more concerned with the souls of mankind who'd been fooled into thinking they could buy their way out of hell with a large enough donation to the church.

I fully agree with keeping the fourth commandment, but just keeping it WILL NOT get you into Heaven. Your sins MUST be forgiven by grace through faith in Jesus.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.