Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can I legaly leave home if i'm 18 and still in High School?

Can I legally move out of my parent's home to live on my own if i'm 18 even if i'm still in High School? Can my parents do anything about it? What if I move out of state?

I have somewhere to stay with people I know... i take all of my high school courses online (very few left) so that allows me to have a full time job (which i have) and means that finishing High School is not a problem.

Favorite Answer

Stay in school and graduate. Life out there is tough and it will be impossible to earn a living even with a high school diploma, impossible without one. Go to college and then you will be able to take care of yourself and the future family.

You will have to check your state laws concerning Emancipation. Some states say 18, others say 19, and some states are as high as 21. If you live in a state where 18 is the age of majority, you have the right to leave your parents' home without them bringing any legal charges against you.

If you are 18, you can do whatever you want. However, don't be surprised if everything you think of as "yours" suddenly becomes "your parents'". Think about your bed, you sheets, your dresser, your clothes, etc. Think about, most likely, your car and the insurance on the car. Your health insurance.

You will have to pay for rent, bills, and groceries, which means you will have to get a full time job which means dropping out of high school. Not having at least your high school diploma means you can't get a decent paying job.

So, yeah. Go ahead and move out of your parents, sleep on the floor some where as you manager McDonald's.

What aspirations you have!

In all 50 States...you are considered an adult at 18.

Some states have younger statutes,but all are legal at 18

I live in SC and from what I have herd you can move out at the age 17 but im not really sure about the moving out of state thing.

• check your local laws some places the legal age is 21 others its 18, I think I heard its 17 in Texas, you need to check at the court house

I don't know about moving out of state because I'm from Canada, but it's legal to move out at 16... for us here anyway.

If you are 18, you are an adult and an move when you want to.

yea

ur parnets cant do anything

u should finish high skool

before u move to another state

yes, you're considered adult but i think you have to show a income flow to live somewhere else if you're on your own.

Source(s): All me