Meaning of Chinese characters on The Killers' album Hot Fuss?

What do the Chinese characters on the cover of The Killers' album Hot Fuss mean? And - bonus question - where was the photo taken? Are there really these neon signs on top of buildings somewhere or is it all photoshop'd?

//edit: as far as I know by now the photo was probably shot in Japan and the characters, each read alone, mean "constructive", "material", "open", "distribute". Together, however it was said to mean "construction material development".

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Favorite Answer

Your translation is 100% correct.

I assure you that the photo was taken in China.

I think these buildings havent finished yet, the characters are some kind of advertisement.

This kind of advertisement like "建材开发” with no brand should be in China not in Japan.

These characters' meanings have nothing to do with the album.

Hot Fuss Album Cover