Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Free trade a scam? If foreigners don't want to buy American goods, should we reduce buying foreign goods?

Update:

How much stock is China Inc holding on walmart?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

you are free to buy only American made goods if you choose. But it should not be dictated. I would prefer to have the option to buy the best quality product I can afford.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not really a scam. Countries have put up restrictions against American goods for years. Japan had laws restricting the roads and the travel times that could be used to transport American goods imported into the country. They said it was a "safety issue" to avoid a fair trade complaint. If Korea had an open market, there would have never been a thriving "black market" there for the last 50 years?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Absolutely!

Wal Mart says it imported about $18 billion in goods from China in 2003. The annual sales for that year by Wal Mart was approximately $250 billion dollars.

However, when you walk through your local Wal Mart and look on the label of products in the store the majority of products say "Made in China". I went through my local Wal mart the other day and was surprised on what I found. Just about all the Black & Decker and Stanley tools were made in China. GE toasters, microwaves, and vacuum cleaners were all made in China. I looked at the Mothers Day cards from Hallmark. Guess what? Made in China. I won't even remark on where 80% of the toys were made.

One of the only few items I picked up that were made in America was the Rubbermaid line of products.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is a fundamental principle of economics, which many people (including Karl Marx) haven't understood, that trade creates value. Any intentional boycott of anyone's goods is harmful to everyone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Stop shopping at wally world for starters, & shop local businesses. When ever you can you should buy American it supports American jobs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We should put an equal tariff on all foreign products as they do ours.

• 1 decade ago

NO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.