When Jesus prayed to his Father, did he hear and answer his own prayers?

For example:

Matthew 26:39 ---"Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

John 17:1-3---"After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Why would Jesus pray to himself??? The answer is, no. Jesus did not answer his own prayers.

1. Yes, it is true that the father and son are one, but this is in the same sense as in parents with their children. The father and mother are one.....in the sense of their way of disclipline. They have the same thinking on how to deal with their children.

2. In the book of Genesis at Genesis 2:24 it says, "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they shall be one flesh." *(King James Version) It says that they shall 'become one flesh' so does this mean they became one person literally? NO. So, Jesus and his father being one simply means that they think the same.

3. God's holy spirit doesn't have a name either such as does the father and the son, Jehovah and Jesus.

4. Remember what happened to the disciples at Acts 2:4? They became FILLED with holy spirit. Jehovah and Jesus did not possess their bodies.

5. At Matthew 24:36 it says, :Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the SON, but only the Father." (NWT) So, if God and his Son were the 'same' literally, why doesn't it say something like, "....Only the triad knows." ?

The3se are just a few examples to show that they are not literally the same, but are really the same as in being in UNION with each other in their thinking, just as we are ourselves.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

"Jesus' two nature are substantially united, they are not joined in a moral or accidental union. How could this hypostatic union happen? Nothing is impossible with God.

You might argue that the trinity and the hypostatic union is not mentioned in the Bible. While it may not be explicitly said, it is in the Bible. The word "bible" is not even in the Bible. It is just finding the right authority to interpret the Bible. I hope you find that authority."

...hmmm...

so, how does this authority explain the RESURRECTED Christ telling Mary he had a God? John 20:17

Does saying Jesus has two natures explain 1 Corinthians 15:20-28?

However, now Christ has been raised up from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep [in death]. 21 For since death is through a man, resurrection of the dead is also through a man. 22 For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each one in his own rank: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence. 24 Next, the end, when he hands over the kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. 25 For he must rule as king until [God] has put all enemies under his feet. 26 As the last enemy, death is to be brought to nothing. 27 For [God] “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.

Does the Bible teach that none of those who are said to be included in the Trinity is greater or less than another, that all are equal, that all are almighty?

Mark 13:32, RS: “Of that day or that hour no ones knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

(Of course, that would not be the case if Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were coequal, comprising one Godhead. And if, as some suggest, the Son was limited by his human nature from knowing, the question remains, Why did the Holy Spirit not know?)

• 4 years ago

The unity that Jesus is referring to. Is the unity expressed in the Greek word "Agape". Agape is translated into the English words Charity and love. Jesus said if you love Me you will keep My commandments. My commandment is that you Agape one another. Again he says. By this the world will know that you are mine, that you Agape one another. And again: I give you a new commandment, my commandment is that you Agape one another. And earlier Jesus says to Agape God with all your hear, your soul, and your mind. And nest to this is Agape your neighbor as you Agape yourself. On these two commandments all of the law and the prophets hang. Agape is above the law. The law is defined, is dependent on, and controlled by Agape. Following Jesus is Agape. Agape is all of our works. Agape is our fruits. Agape is our light that shines before the world. The name on the church building door means nothing. The building is not the church, it is merely the place where the church meets. The church is the gathering of the followers of Jesus. And it is Agape the unites the followers of Jesus. The apostle Paul very eloquently explains much about this is 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. I hope this is helpful. God bless Terry Bromm

• Jesus Christ is the Son of Jehovah God, he never said he was God. Jesus prayed to his Father in the heavens and no he did not answer his own prayers. Jesus Christ said he cannot do anything without the Father in heaven. yes he said you seen me you seen the Father, he was with Jehovah God from the beginning so he knows his Father real well. people say that he resurrected himself when he was on the stake. Jesus was died so how can he resurrect himself. when Jesus was baptized, Jehovah came down like a dove and said this is my son the beloved.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Of course not... In fact this is one more proof that Jesus and Jehovah God aren't the same person.

Jesus, as said in many versicles, is the son of God sent to earth. That's why he usually prayed to God in every opportunity.

A text to proof it simply that i think very specific is John 3:17 - "For God sent forth his son in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life"

• VMO
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Trinitarians believe Jesus had some sort of multiple personality disorder.

• 1 decade ago

lover of Bible truth,

To answer your question, you have to have the right understanding of the dogma of the Trinity. The Trinity says that there are three persons in One God, these three persons being truly distinct from one another. This dogma has been explained not only in scriptures but also of the Church Fathers.

Before I go on with your Bible verses, I just hope that you know how, when and where the Bible was compiled. If not, try looking out for this to have a more understanding and love of its truths. Let me know when you find it.

Jesus, in one person has two natures, both divine and human. It is called the hypostatic union. I believe the Bible verses you quoted speak of His human nature. Other examples of His human nature are the presence of His emotions and His temptation by the devil. Examples of His divine nature is His power to forgive sins and His rising from death. Jesus' two nature are substantially united, they are not joined in a moral or accidental union. How could this hypostatic union happen? Nothing is impossible with God.

You might argue that the trinity and the hypostatic union is not mentioned in the Bible. While it may not be explicitly said, it is in the Bible. The word "bible" is not even in the Bible. It is just finding the right authority to interpret the Bible. I hope you find that authority.

With Jesus' human nature, we are encouraged to follow it. Since we are human, we can definitely do it. We should always seek the Father's will and always glorify the Father in all we do.

Pray always!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

jake

• 1 decade ago

And seemingly intelligent people can read that and still argue for the trinity ?

Eyes that can't see & ears that can't hear.

• 1 decade ago

Since Jesus is the second person of the trinity i would assume that he had constant and easy fellowship with the Father and the Spirit at all times. He also, as a person conceived without sin and living a sinless life would have no worldly guilt and shame in his psyche roaming around to interfere with hearing from God the Father.

He would not have to work through His past junk and stuff that normally makes it harder for us to tune in to God.

• Skunk
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Possible arguments against the theory of Trinity.

Source(s): God's awesome!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.