looking for title of movie with bert lancaster or kurk douglas set in south america?

i think they were looking for aztec or inca gold in the mountians. there was also a south american woman in this film, she was an opera singer who preformed, a very moving aria i guess you would call it. im not sure when it was madefor sure. but my best guess is late 40s to mid 50s.

Favorite Answer

Secret of the Incas (1954)

IMDB synopsis:

An Inca legend says the Inca Empire was destroyed by the gods when a gold and jeweled starburst was stolen from the Temple of the Sun centuries ago and the ancient civilization will spring anew when the treasure is returned. The natives want it but so does Harry Steele (Charlton Heston), an American adventurer of slightly shady ways who wants it for personal gain, as does his adversary (Thomas Mitchell), a grizzled old man even more into skullduggery than Steele. The latter teams up with Elena Antonescu (Nicole Maurey), an Iron Curtain refugee. She can help him get a plane and he can help her escape Peru for the relative safety of Mexico.

The woman who sings is Yma Sumac, who was known throughout the world for her 4 1/2-octave vocal range. She wasn't an opera singer though. The self-proclaimed Inca princess recorded a number of albums. Here's some information from her IMDB site:

Yma Sumac aka Ima or Imma Sumack is from Ichocán, Peru, a town high in the Andes. From an early age she performed in radio and movies and made recordings throughout South America. She came to the United States in the 1940s and performed with a small group of musicians and dancers. When she signed with Capitol Records in 1950 her stage name's spelling was changed to the more exotic "Yma Sumac." An urban legend that she is really Amy Camus, a nice Jewish girl from Brooklyn, originated in 1951 with a joke among musicians repeated in one of Walter Winchell's gossip columns. She has acted in several films and stage shows and continued to perform into the 1990s. She lives in Los Angeles and has been contemplating new releases of recordings of her most recent concerts.

WOW! I didn't know that 1) she's still alive and 2) continues to perform! I wonder how her voice has held up. She's 85 years old!

I came back to add a link to this video at YouTube, a clip from "Secret of the Incas". I hope the quality is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-C7jZfAQ34

Youtube thumbnail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recognized your description of the film instantly and wasn't thrown off by the leading man guess. I've seen this film a number of times, the last time about a year ago. By the way, their names are Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. I'm a lifelong film buff of 55+ years, so I love solving movie mysteries.

26. Prostitutes consistently seem as though Julia Roberts or Jamie Lee Curtis. they have costly clothing and remarkable residences yet no pimps. they're friendly with the shopkeepers of their neighbourhood who don`t ideas in any respect what the girl does for a living.