WineBuzz asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 1 decade ago

Why do people use straws for their drinks in restaurants, and not when they are at home?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Shorty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Because of hygiene issues for sure. I used to be a server and they always wanted us to hold the glass by the bottom for that reason and not give it the customer holding it near the top.

Well, when I go out to eat I am amazed by how many servers give me the drink holding the glass by the top. I don't know where their hands have been! So I always like to drink from a straw at a restaurant.

• 1 decade ago

Used to be because you drink faster with a straw, they could sell more. Now I think most places give free refills.

I do drink with a straw at home (had to increase water consumption & it's easier with a straw)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i use straws when im at home!

i guess its all about the person

and i dont think its about hygeine

do you know where the straws have been after they've been taken out of the packet and whos touched them before they've ended up in the straw holders?

nope... i certainly dont.

you usually get ice in your drinks at a restaurant, so people could be dodging the coldness?

i think its just because they're there and because they can.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Straws are for kids! I own a restaurant and hygiene is very important. You don't drink coffee or champagne with a straw.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • None
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Because it is that extra incentive for going out to restaurants. You dont garnish your plate when your at home, or have cloth napkins. You probably just use paper towls at your house, why would you use a straw.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're trying to act like they use their manners.

Also the sides of the glasses might not be sanitary so straws help.

• 1 decade ago

At the restaurants the ice is too cold for me to drink it like I do at home.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

personally, you never know who has touched your glass. it really doesn't do much, considering the straw touches the side, and any germs there would be automatically transfered to your mouth. those little boogers move fast.

i think it may be because it is less messy. when you are at home, you can be a slob, and really don't care. but when you are out, you are more careful. you don't want to make a mess. watch your eating habits when you go out verses staying at home. they change as well.

• 1 decade ago

u do all kinds of things at home tht u dont do outside lol

i think ppl use straws for their drinks in restuarants bcz its kinda lik a posh way of drinking rather tan wen ur at home u drink from the bottle wit mouth open

• 1 decade ago

hey i use straws all the time at home,work. and also while driving so not to tilt my head back and i can still see the road. p.s. i drink only pop and coffee only.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.