defenition of prejudice positive or negative?

i need a defenition of prejudice which shows that it can also be positive? i need a source for my thesis... im trying to prove that it can be either positive or negative

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Positive: I choose chicken over beef. I am therefore prejudiced against beef. But it is positive because chicken is healthier.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Positive Prejudice Examples

• 1 decade ago

This is difficult because prejudice usually has such a negative connotation...

"-disadvantage by prejudice

-bias: a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation

-influence (somebody's) opinion in advance "

So, I guess you can see here that you can describe the negative definition of prejudice as a harsh discrimination and bias that can result in the stigmas we fight in society today.

For the positive definition, you can see (as above) that it can be simplified to mean merely an influence or an opinion, not necessarily the negative idea that we seem to automatically link it with.

I hope that helped!

Source(s): wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to the New English dictionary, defines prejudice as “a feeling favourable or unfavourable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience.”

i m doing an essay on cultural biases. so there you go. hope that helps.

Source(s): "the nature of prejudice" by Gordon Allport 1954 pg. 7 i think!
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Positive prejudice is preferential treatment. It involves rewarding select people one prefers to award without rewarding others of equal merit. Negative prejudice is discrimination. It involves punishing select people while ignoring justice for others who are equally deserving of punishment.

This is just my opinion, please verify it.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Positive prejudice is prejudging others positively without knowledge, such as beautiful girls are intelligent, White people are very clean. queens are beautiful.

Negative prejudice is prejudging others negatively without knowledge, such as blacks are dirty, untouchable are dirty and shall not touch, shall not study.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.