Help needed for overclocking my PC?

Hey guys,

First things first, I am a 'software' guy, and a bit of an idiot when it comes to hardware stuff. I'm in the 3D industry, and I'd like to squeeze as much as possible out of my pc for best performance.

As stated, I'm no expert on hardware, and a friend and I built my PC to my requirements last year. Could you please point me in a direction, as he said that this configuration can be overclocked? I'd ask him, but he's a busy lad and I need to learn anyhow.

My PC Specs are as follows;

Gigabyte P35-DS3P Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3

Corsair XMS 2 DDR2 (High performance 2 gig of RAM)

Corsair VX-450W Power Supply

Samsung HD501LJ Sata HDD

Is this system able to be overclocked safely? This rig does get hot, and I have no additional / aftermarket cooling.

Thankyou to all for your help in advance. :)

regards,

jay

Favorite Answer

Overclocking is easy just go into the BIOS and tell it to run faster however, doing it without having your system burnup is much harder.

The problem is heat. You can tell it to run faster but it will make more heat in the process. If things get too hot the system will either crash or self destruct.

If you had a low end processor that was running under its capabilities (like my Celeron 420) then you can pump the speed way up without a problem. When you have a top end processor (like yours) it won't go much faster without work (and more cooling)

The rivatuner suggestion is a good one as video card often come at speeds less than their maximum.

If you feel you must overclock you could probably push your system to 2.8Ghz without additional equipment...just go into your BIOS (usually hit DEL when computer is starting) and turn front side bus to manual and increase the speed by a few MHz simple as that....then run speedfan to see how hot your rig is running and Prime95 to see if stable. I DO NOT recommend it with your setup as it is pretty close to max already but if you feel you must...

The Gigabyte P35-DS3P Motherboard is able to obtain very good overclocked speeds and remain stable. It is actually known as one of the best boards to overclock as it was made a little more "user friendly" to do in the process. As far as the issue of over-heating goes, you may encounter some problems depending how much you've overclocked it. I would suggest shelling out the 30 bucks for a few more fans, and if its had a good use already, reapplying a fresh layer of thermal grease between cpu and cooler units.

Good motherboard, it will carry the extra load.

Already a top processor. Limited possibilities to overclock.

Idem for video and memory.

The power source is on the weak side.If you will try to overclock,keep an eye on the voltages.

Fast enought HD.

If it's already hot then a new bigger case (with more fans) and a new processor cooler are mandatory.

Pushed to the max you could get maybe, MAYBE, 25% more out of the pc. If you have the money to replace the fried components give it a try.

You are a begginer. I really don't thing you should try it. It's not worth it.

If you just have the stock cooler on your CPU, you don't want to overclock it as that stock cooler is mean for stock speeds only.

However, you could still overclock your video card if it isn't running too hot on stock speeds. Download a program called Rivatuner, and make sure to turn the fan speed of the card up to 100% if you overclock it just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Azrael....how are you calling that a weak power supply?? That's a VERY NICE power supply for his system and will handle an overclock just fine...he's not running SLI...that system won't ever pull more than 300w under load

If it's already running hot and you don't have additional cooling then I suggest you don't overclock as that adds more heat. Besides, your not going to get enough of a performance boost to risk turning your system into a very expensive paperweight.