potty training 2 1/2 yr old with newborn cousin?

I have been trying to potty train my 2 1/2 yr. old daughter since about 18 months. She has been doing fairly well with it but since her baby cousin was born a few weeks ago it has been a total fight in getting her to go potty. When I ask her if she needs to go potty she tells me " No mama I tee tee in my diaper" I tell her that big girls tee tee in the potty. She uses the potty some still and according to her teachers at daycare she is using the some but was wanting some advice on potty training my daughter with a new baby cousin around.

i tell her if she goes potty she will get a special treat like a sucker or a gummy bear when she tells me she needs to go. What are some good rewards besides candy to get her to go to the potty?

She tells me when she needs her pull up changed or when she tee teed in her pants and she tries to change her pull up herself. I feel like she is ready to be potty trained, I have been telling her that she could help teach her baby cousin to use the potty when he is older. (not that she would help)

Favorite Answer

Your encouragement is great! Positive reinforcement is so effective with kids. I would not worry about the newborn cousin having a significant impact. For my daughter, she was very interested in doing things herself. I wanted to empower her to potty train so I researched and found a safe stool with sides. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

This stool made all the difference because she could climb right up on her own and she felt completely comfortable. This stool is well worth it --she still uses it even though she has been potty trained a long time.

Hope this helps.

If she was potty training well before the baby cousin appeared you can just wait for her to develop an interest again. My son had a similar problem when his baby brother arrived. Suddenly the baby was getting a lot of attention and he reverted to wanting to be a baby because he wanted that same attention. Reassure her that you love her, big girl or baby. If you can afford it, and she reacts well, tell her that you will give her something special when she is all potty-trained (like a new sheet set for her bed in her favorite character or a set of underwear or an outfit that she loves). Take a picture of whatever it is you will give her and make sure she can see it every day. You could even put a "star chart" in the bathroom to show when she goes in the potty. Positive reinforcement is always the best answer, never push her to use the potty.

By the way, a friend of mine told me a way to potty train that turned out to be a lifesaver for me. Spend one whole day potty training. Give her lots of juice, water, clear fluids, popsicles, etc and crackers. The crackers will make her thirsty and if she drinks enough she'll have to go. Then spend the day reading, telling stories, playing games, all while sitting on the potty. When she finally gets the hang of "tee tee" in the potty, she will feel so special from all the attention that she'll want to do it all the time. It might take a day or two of this "intense" training, but it worked for me.

I never actually had this problem, I had a girl, and she was, well, easier than this anyway. But I will offer some advice, if you want it. Keep him indoors for a couple weeks. Let him run around with or without clothes on, whatever he prefers. If he has a BM on the floor, enlist his help in cleaning it up. Don't put it him on a guilt trip on anything, just make it clear that every time he poops on the floor, he will help clean it up. Give lavish praise for any time that he uses the potty. If necessary, call up your husband at work and have him praise your son too. Don't worry about potty training overnight. Hopefully in a couple weeks the situation will improve. It sounds like he just wants to be in control of the situation. So you want to make it more appealing for him to do what you want him to do, without putting any extra pressure on him. Good luck! And yes, one day he will be trained, he won't still be pooping on the floor in college or anything.

I helped to potty trian my little cousion, he has a baby brother who is still in diapers so he wanted to be like the baby so we started treating him like a baby. He didn't mind at first but when his sister got to go places (like out side) and do stuff without him he changed his mind pretty quickly. He said he didn't want to be a baby anymore he was big! Then he started to go to the potty all by himself and within a few weeks was totaly out of diapers. Now he has gotten to the point that he even gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and doesn't wet the bed anymore!

Instead of candy try making a poster board, decorate it and put her name and stuff on it. Then get stickers every time she goes to the potty she gets a new sticker (say a star) and let her know that once she gets say 10 stars she gets something special...a new toy, book, or gets to go somewhere.

Another idea might be a little out of the age range but it works for my 7 year old cousion, every time she does something we ask her like clean her toys up or help watch her brothers she gets a quarter in her piggy bank and she knows once that's full she can get something she seen and has been wanting. (Also works the reverse way, everytime she doesn't do what is asked a quarter gets taken away.)

The second thing gets a little pricy over time expecially if they do a good job, and the first one works just as good for less money...Hope this helped, good luck!

When my daughter started pre-school for three year olds she and another gal were the only kids in the class that were potty trained. I would just praise her for being such a big girl each time that she uses the potty and not being too concerned about her lapses. Best of luck, as you know, this situation will soon be a distant memory.

I will tell you how but your not going to like it cause it is work for you. No pull ups no diapers, training pants and when they don't use the potty take your time changing them. They hate the feel of it couple of times cold and wet they tend to run to the potty with no prob. Did pull ups with one neice took forever. Training pants with other neice and nephew couple weeks and both potty trained in no time.

I have a 3 yr old son I am still trying to potty train with no success.. The only thing I can tell you is DO NOT force her or act like its bad for her not to use the toilet.. they will just be scared and wont want to do it at all! Good Luck Hun!

Source(s): Mommy of 2

My vivid experience with my son is 3 and a half now.

When he was 2 and a half, everyone around us were encouraging me to potty train him. I didn't want to, but when elders came to see him, always ask him and me about potty training and why he wasn't wearing training pull ups.

I was quite frustrated so was he. I borrowed so countless videos, DVDs and books about this for him.

He had been wearing pull ups for almost one year, and three months ago, one day, he just decided he wanted to poo in the potty, that night he told me that he is a big boy, he doesn't need to wear pull up, and told me that little underwear is just fine.

WELL, YES, he NEVER wet his bed up to now.

I would really just say, let them go with the flow...........

Save your energy on something else that might bring you two closer.

My daughter regressed when a newborn came to the baby sitter's house. She was jealous and decided that she wanted her diapers changed like the new baby. I just let it pass until she decided that diapers were for little babies and she was a big girl...it took from January to July for her to change her way of thinking..Then she practically trained herself!

You can't force it and sometimes if you do it before they are completely ready they regress backwards especially with new babies around because they want to be the baby. Dr's will not worry until a child is about 5 years old.