Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

Best towns/cities in North Carolina?

My husband and I are looking to move to a somewhat quaint town or smaller city in North Carolina near water. In fact, we want to wake up, enjoy some coffee and look out onto a lake, pond or even a more rocky (less beach) coastline. We're just hoping for more temperate weather and a bit more relaxation. We are in our mid 30's, no kids (or plans for kids), well-educated and cultured professionals who also enjoy the arts, travel, music, architecture, good food and the outdoors. We are looking for a safe and fairly relaxing place to live (as we currently live in downtown in a 1.3 million person city), but don't want to be too secluded. Perhaps 100,000 people or less? We just want to be able to make a decent/good living, enjoy the water (my husband likes to wind surf) and find good people. Any ideas? Both of us are not familiar with North Carolina at all, so we appreciate any feedback!

Favorite Answer

There are lots of small towns near water. We have many rivers, lakes ponds and of course ocean and sounds. Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina. The major water around Charlotte is Lake Norman and The Catawba River. Smaller towns near Lake Norman are Mooresville, Hickory, Statesville. Asheville has The French Broad River going by. South of Chapel Hill is Lake Jordan. North of Raleigh is Falls Lake. Wilmington is on The Atlantic Ocean.

Other towns you should consider are Washington, New Bern, Beaufort, Southport, Edenton and Boone.

If you are looking for towns with arts and music: Asheville, Boone, Greensboro, Charlotte, Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Wilmington and Edenton. There are too numerous small towns to list. much of North Carolina is made up of towns with population of less than 70,000. There are hundreds of lakes nd ponds and creeks and streams in North Carolina.

Look up Highlands, North Carolina and Cashiers North Carolina!!!!! You will LOVE it there.

I went there all the time when I was younger. We moved there and lived for a few years. We go back all the time. I envy you. And I guarantee what you described is in that area. Cullowhee, Sylva, Bryson City and Highlands. I am sure you will get great ideas here.

If you find that you are intersted in Highlands or Cashiers let me know and I can tell you more. They have a "Playhouse" where they have plays with local folks. They have within Highlands hiking areas (The main street has two stoplights). Sunset Rock you walk up a bit and watch the sunset.

Gosh, Im missing that place.

Bryson City, Wake Forest/Raleigh, Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle

All those are good. :-)