Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 1 decade ago

What does the song "Wonder" by Natalie Merchant mean?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Natalie Merchant's "Wonder" is often mistaken as a song about vanity or arrogance. In actuality, it is a song about a woman with a physical disability and a refreshing attitude: differences in her physical body are not handicaps or deformities, they are wonders, a term that implies magic, awe and beauty. The woman makes her way through life "gifted with love, with patience, and with faith."

The song has become an anthem for many people with disabilities, but Merchant has insisted that, even though her inspiration for the song was a wonderful woman with a physical handicap, the song can be about anyone. For this reason, the video portrays women (of different ages, shapes and sizes) singing the lyrics.

• arnone
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Wonder Natalie Merchant

• 4 years ago

Natalie Merchant, the word means guess, do you like her as a songwriter?

• 5 years ago

The first moment I heard this song I knew it was about my little sister. When she was born she had many seizures but they stopped ... her future was unknown. She began again having them at 3 years old. She was flight lifted to a speciality hospital. She's 35 and has been threw so much. She has raised to amazing girls through all the obstacles. I sing this song to her all the time to remind her she's amazing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

The song was about twins, born to 19-year-old parents, who were told the girls would not live into their teens and should be institutionalised. The young parents took them home and cared for them night and day, and they finally died at the age of 26. Natalie was with them when they died and sang at their funeral. She also did a benefit concert for the scientific institution that was doing research on the girls disease

Source(s): Natalie just did an interview on BBC Radio 4 (UK) and related the story
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avWkq

In my eyes there is no Such thing. To "master" anything is to put A limit in your mind That there is no Need for improvement. To have "mastered" something is to have perfected it and perfection doesnt Exist. There is always A need for improvement and if you believe this Whole heartedly then your potential, involving anything, is limitless.

• 4 years ago

Natalie Merchant Wonder

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.