Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Why did Salafis rejected the idea of Sufism?

Bro Sina, you should help me with this.

All inputs are most welcome.

Update:

-karim, i did not thumb you down-

Update 2:

And, I disagree with you on your view of Salafism.

Update 3:

Dogma to me is important.

Update 4:

Karim, so are you.

Sina and Maria, thanks for answering.

Update 5:

Wow, Ashraf, your friend is a genius! That's a great answer.

And, Ashraf is my brother's name. ;p

Update 6:

MR, of course, dogma is important, it is basically about our aqidah.

I was referring to Salafis movement that was started by Ibn Taymiyya. Great answer, but I still think majority of Sufis had fallen into the error, as you mention it. Thanks for mentioning he himself was not against Sufism as clai

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a difference between "Salafism" and today's "wahhabism." The Wahhabis of today are followers of Muhammad bin Abdul Wahhab, the leader of a deviated sect that started in Najd of the Arabian Peninsula in the 18th century. They claim that they are "Salafis" and that they are promoting the "correct Islam." In fact, they were religious fanatics that were used to support the territorial expansion of the Saud clan. The Saud clan revolted in Najd and started expanding rapidly in a military and rapid way, using the wahhabi fanatics to attack and kill anybody who was against them. They were a rebellion against the Ottoman Islamic Caliphate and they Ottomans sent an army to finish their revolt. Unfortunately, in 1900, they started another revolt, this time supported by "unknown" powers that were providing them with arms and money and it was part of the effort to disassemble the Ottoman empire.

The "Salafi" movement was started much earlier by sheikh Ibn Taymiyya who claimed that he was returning to the roots of Islam. Despite his many mistakes, he himself was a Sufi and talked with great respect about the sufi leaders. Today the Wahhabis publish his books but omit his sufi references in order to cheat the people into thinking that he was against sufism.

Sufism is the equivalent of spiritual purification and it has been there since the days of the Prophet. It has caused the peaceful expansion and protection of Islam in wide areas of the world. It is true that some of the Sufi groups have fallen into errors, but this does not mean that ALL the sufis are wrong.

The wahhabis claim that Sufism invents practices that were not done during the time of the Prophet, and therefore it is deviated. This idea is itself a deviation from the truth. There are many Sufi practices that were done by the companions of the Prophet, besides, not every new practice is a deviation, otherwise, we would be "deviated" for praying in mosques that have marble or rugs or even a ceiling as the mosque of the Prophet didn't have them!

Peace/salaam

Source(s): University studies in Islam
  • 1 decade ago

The Wahabi are a movement started in Saudi Arabi. Which was a radical movement that began with Ibn abdul-wahab in the late eighteenth century, he teamed up with one of the forefather of Ibn Saud who was a bandit at the time.

Together they wanted to usurp the rule of th Ottomans in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina. They succeeded in murdering and massacring there ways and killed anyone who didn't agree with them. They were initially defeated by the sons of Muhammad Ali Pasha an Egyptian ruler and then fled to Kuwait. Until the returned to Mecca due to British funding and massacred the inhabitants of the two cities mentioned - this is circa 1920's.

After they established rule and oil was found an empire was born. The Saudis are one of the closest allies in this war.

So the founder slader other Muslims claiming that they had began to worship the "saints" which is of course false. They did not understand the religion correctly and this is why they claimed what they did.

The sufis are the Muslims who had for hundreds of years renewed Islam and they rejected this and they claimed what the oritentalists did about them.

Real Islamic sufism has nothing to do with other religions its based on focusing yourself on journeying to God. The Wahabi cannot fight back with any kind of plausable arguement.

http://islamicrebuttals.blogspot.com/search/label/...

• 1 decade ago

I became interested in knowing about sufism too a few months back .. and this is what i know :)

Sufism practices some stuff which salafis called bidah .. like the way they worship Allah or praise him .. since Prophet Muhammad (SAW) did not use this practice or the sahabah .. it is an innovation ... then i read it on one of the websites but im not sure .. that they ultimately claim to have raised themselves so high .. that they join with Allah and hence they said they do not need to pray or fast to worship Allah.

Besides this Prophet (SAW) and Sahabah practices religion and also busied themselves in the duniya by workin and all .... on the other hand is wat chrisitans practice sometimes .. where they seperate themselves from the world .. which is something different. Sufi style is more towards latter ..

Then their dances and songs .. which is again not a way used by Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to preach .. neither was it used by tabaien or taba tabaien ... and infact dances and instruments are not even allowed

I hope it helps :o)

Allah knows the Best !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They felt sufism was polytheism and grave worship,which in many cases it had become. Most sufis rituals had started revolving too much around shrines. In a way the Wahbi/Salafis were right about sufism. But the Salafis then advocated they extreme opposite of sufism. To them religion was was all about ritualism and dogma, and all spiritual philosophies of islamic belief were seen as innovations by them

EDIT:

You are entitled to your opinion

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you referring to authentic Salafism or the watered down version? Regardless, Ibn Tammiyah is a racist and isn't a very well respected figure in Islamic thought. Him and his arguments have been debunked long time ago by Ghazzalli and gang. What do you mean dogma is important to you? ;-)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

many circumstances. as quickly as I first began status up for myself, those i replaced into status up against, would continually tell me that I stay in my very own little international and that i've got a tousled memory... whether I had information or no longer. yet at last I discovered to stroll faraway from people who reject my certainty. Now... the sole guy or woman who rejects it quite is me... yet it quite is in basic terms while i'm having an extremely undesirable day

• 1 decade ago

I had asked a similar question to a very learned friend of mine who is currently basrd in Saudi Arab.

He counter asked ma a question.

Do you agree that even though if Sufism might be good practice, many shirk practices have entered into it? i replied in affirmation.

then he asked.. If a persons wounded hand is poisoned un-cureable and the poison is spreading to all body, will u agree to cut of that hand, and if you do agree then from where will you cut the hand, on the exact spot where the posion has reached or a little higher to be on safer side? i replied. i will cut my posioned hand and to be more safe from a higher point from where the poison has reached.

Then he said, same way when the life of hereafter is at stake and the poison of Shirk is desrorying all chances of entering Jannah, is it not better if we cut the whole hand of Sufisim.

So i think that even if some of us might be likeing the sufism approach, but what about the poison of shirk that has spread within.

Allah is not going to ask why you did not practice Sufism, but surely he will ask about shirk.

So even if i like sufism very much i will stay miles away from it.

• 1 decade ago

Sufism is not an accurate practice of Islam.

"Sufism" became a mixture of various innovations, and exaggerations. Many forbidden ideologies of philosophers took their ways into it, such as pantheism, immanentism and atheism, which believe that one becomes free from following Islam after reaching a prescribed stage. No doubt, the contemporary Sufism contains all kinds of deviations such as

exaggerating the status of Sheiks and good people, worshiping tombs and graves by making sacrifices, Du'a and circumambulation around them. They worship them asking their help and support. This is a major "Shirk" (making partners with Allah), Allah never forgives this kind of Shirk.

Moreover, they adhere to many invented supplications and celebrate the birthday of the prophet and others. Pantheism and immanentism still exist in many groups of Sufis. ~!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well it depends on what Sufism is!

Sufis like Shia'a consider their Ulama'a non-discussable! and their Ulama'a are not Muslims at all!

Ibn Arbi the greatest godfather of Sufis believe in some horrible things!

One of them called Wihdat Al Wujid/ the single existence which means Allah is everything! Astagfr Allah! like Allah is Allah or Allah is a cat or Allah is a cup of tea!

Some Sufis just like 99% of Shia'a know nothing about their beliefs! simply they do not care to read their books or ask their scholars! they just do what they see other Sufis do!

• 1 decade ago

there is miunderstanding of both salafism and sofism ,acually there are complimatory ,as each one take an act of islam practice ...........salafism take the purification of source ,sofism act the implimentation .............off course when we take away supersticious acts which were claimed to sofism .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.