Is this sentence wrong "Usually when I speak things I have this problem"?

I was told here that this sentence is wrong, because the verb "speak" is intransitive. But Webster says that this verb is both transitive and intransitive ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?... ), for example,"Let these people speak their mind"

Also here are some quotes from New American Standard Bible, where the verb "speak" is used in a transitive sense:

"When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I SPEAK THESE THINGS as the Father taught Me." (John 8:28)

"THESE THINGS SPEAK and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you." (Tts 2:15)

"But now I come to You; and THESE THINGS I SPEAK in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. (John 17:13)

• Rose
    Favorite Answer

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that we do not speak things, we speak words, or we speak our ideas aloud, or we speak our mind, or we speak about his words.

I just feel that I have added to your torture in trying to understand the English language. However, take heart, because every English child learns this by being corrected and by listening. I

It highlights the necessity of speaking, and questioning the usage of English at every opportunity, if you wish to learn its complexities.

It is wrong because the "things" is superfluous, or unnecessary. "Things" is a very vague term and does not add to the information supplied by "speak". "Your mind", however, is both specific and unexpected and therefore adds information to the listener. It really has nothing to do with the verb being transitive or intransitive. If you are attached to "things" preceed it with "about":

Ususally when I speak about things, I have this problem.

When the Lord uses SPEAK, He is speaking in real time, and usually to a prophet, who usually relays the prophecy word for word as the Lord said it. Because a prophecy foretells of a lattertime, but in reality that is the real time the prophecy takes place.

When you use it in your sentence, you are referring to a thing, instead of a word. You can only speak words, not speak things. We say things. God is the only one that can SPEAK things into existance.lol.

We don't use Biblical language any more, that's why it's wrong in modern speech. It is also incongruous because the second half of your phrase, "I have this problem" is a modern idiom.

Yes, there is a commonly used phrase "to speak your mind" but we never say "to speak things". It just isn't good English.

Yes the sentence is wrong in both common American English usage and in formal English usage.

It's fine that you study the Bible. But if you want to pass your English courses, you need to also study grammar.

Your sentence is only wrong because it's too vague. You're not explaining enough about what you're referring to, so that's the problem. Perhaps, if you reworded it, as in:

"Usually when I speak before an audience, I seem to have this problem."

"Usually when I speak of such things, I begin to have this problem."

"Usually when I speak of too many things at once, I begin to have this problem with a loss of memory about the details."

"Usually when I speak, I have this problem."

So, you have to phrase it a bit differently to "when I speak OF things", or "when I speak THAT WAY" or "when I speak ITALIAN" or "when I speak FLUENTLY", etc.

You can 'speak of things' but you can't 'speak things'. You can 'say things' to someone, but it's a bit colloquial.

In your sentence you just need to leave 'things' out.

the Bible was written and translated many times and the words spoken so many years ago are not always accepted in today's grammar.

The more common way to say it is "Usually when I say things I have this problem"? or

I usually have this problem when I say things. (Better to state what you were going to say)

You could leave out "things"..."Usually when I speak, I have this problem"

In this case, it would be more correct to leave the word "things" out.