Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Is Hilary Clinton's experience based on being the wife of an expresident?

She says she is ready on day one, but how does she know that if she has never been a president on her own.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are the pros & cons: Basically we have to choose one of these three: Obama, McCain, or Clinton

Hillary's experience is based on being an attorney and a senator. As a NY Senator, she has repeatedly worked for legislation improving the lives of children, armed services personnel & middle-class working citizens.

"Following graduation [from Yale Law in 1973], she became a staff attorney for the Children's Defense Fund."

"After serving as only one of two women lawyers on the staff of the House Judiciary Committee considering the impeachment of Richard Nixon, Hillary chose not to pursue offers from major law firms."

"Hillary ran a legal aid clinic for the poor when she first got to Arkansas and handled cases of foster care and child abuse. Years later, she organized a group called Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families."

"Following the November 1978 election of her husband as Governor of Arkansas, Rodham became First Lady of Arkansas in January 1979, her title for a total of twelve years (1979–1981, 1983–1992). Clinton appointed her chair of the Rural Health Advisory Committee the same year, where she successfully obtained federal funds to expand medical facilities in Arkansas' poorest areas without affecting doctors' fees."

Barack Obama has been an attorney since 1988

"As an associate attorney with Miner, Barnhill & Galland from 1993 to 1996, he represented community organizers, discrimination claims, and voting rights cases. He was a lecturer of constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1993 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004.

Obama was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996 from the 13th District, which then spanned Chicago South Side neighborhoods from Hyde Park-Kenwood south to South Shore and west to Chicago Lawn. In 2000, he made an unsuccessful Democratic primary run for the U.S. House of Representatives seat held by four-term incumbent candidate Bobby Rush. He was reelected to the Illinois Senate in 1998 and 2002 (when the 13th District was redrawn to span Chicago lakefront neighborhoods from the Gold Coast south to South Chicago). In January 2003, Obama became chairman of the Health and Human Services Committee when Democrats, after a decade in the minority, regained a majority in the Illinois Senate. He resigned from the Illinois Senate in November 2004 following his election to the U.S. Senate. As a state legislator, Obama gained bipartisan support for legislation reforming ethics and health care laws. He sponsored a law enhancing tax credits for low-income workers, negotiated welfare reform, and promoted increased subsidies for childcare. Obama also led the passage of legislation mandating videotaping of homicide interrogations, and a law to monitor racial profiling by requiring police to record the race of drivers they stopped. During his 2004 general election campaign for U.S. Senate, he won the endorsement of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police, whose president credited Obama for his active engagement with police organizations in enacting death penalty reforms. He was criticized by rival pro-choice candidates in the Democratic primary and by his Republican pro-life opponent in the general election for a series of "present" or "no" votes on late-term abortion and parental notification issues."

Meanwhile, John McCain has been a career politician & navy man. "He became a naval aviator, flying attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War in 1967, he narrowly escaped death in the Forrestal fire. On his twenty-third bombing mission over North Vietnam later in 1967, he was shot down and badly injured. He then endured five and a half years as a prisoner of war, including periods of torture, before he was released following the Paris Peace Accords in 1973.

Retiring from the Navy in 1981, and moving to Arizona, McCain remarried and entered politics. In 1982, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Arizona's 1st congressional district. After serving two terms there, he was elected to the U.S. Senate from Arizona in 1986. He was re-elected Senator in 1992, 1998, and 2004. While generally adhering to American conservatism, McCain established a reputation as a political maverick for his willingness to defy Republican orthodoxy on several issues. Surviving the Keating Five scandal of the 1980s, he made campaign finance reform one of his signature concerns, which eventually led to the passing of the McCain-Feingold Act in 2002.

McCain was a candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2000 presidential election, but was defeated by George W. Bush after closely contested battles in several early primary states."

In the early 1970s, "the McCains' marriage began to falter. McCain had extramarital affairs, and he would later say, "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam, and I cannot escape blame by pointing a finger at the war. The blame was entirely mine." His wife Carol would later echo those sentiments, saying "I attribute [the breakup of our marriage] more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else."

In the early 80s, "Living in Phoenix, McCain went to work for his new father-in-law Jim Hensley's large Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship as Vice President of Public Relations, where he gained political support among the local business community,[90] meeting powerful figures such as banker Charles Keating, Jr., real estate developer Fife Symington III, and newspaper publisher Darrow "Duke" Tully, all the while looking for an electoral opportunity.[89] When John Jacob Rhodes, Jr., the longtime Republican congressman from Arizona's 1st congressional district, announced his retirement, McCain ran for the seat as a Republican in 1982."

McCain was "instrumental in pushing through approval of the Line Item Veto Act of 1996". He has worked for vets, industry, tax reform, and desires a massive immigration bureaucracy overhaul.

It's up to you readers, but do your research before you assume your potential leaders aren't knowledgeable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, she has been consistently describing her 35 years of experience. Bill Clinton was president for only 8. Being in the White House for those 8 years did lend some first hand experience to her, however she has done quite a bit more.

She started out helping minority communities in Massachusetts and then in Texas. She assisted them in registering to vote. Then, she began working for the Children's Defense Fund. She's made a career in protecting the family unit and children. Then, she worked on the Impeachment Inquiry staff of the Judiciary Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives to work on the Watergate Impeachment proceedings. In the late 1970s, she taught as one of the law faculty at the University of Arkansas. In addition to chairing the Arkansas Education Standards Committee, she founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families. She introduced a pioneering program called Arkansas Home Instruction for Preschool Youth, which trained parents to work with their children in preschool preparedness and literacy. Also, she has served nearly 8 years in the Senate. While in the Senate, she has served in the Committee on Armed Services, the Committee on Environment and Public Works, and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions.

She's has lots experience.

Source(s): hillaryclinton.com
  • 1 decade ago

yes in some ways this defines her.

She is an embattled wife of an ex president who was always

three times smarterthan her her dopey but geek enthralled

husband clinton. Clinton picked another genius, Al Gore to to be VP. Clintons idea seemed to be to use democratic ideas and genius to overwhelm overything. It would have worked if there wasn't a huge character assassination scam and then a big mistep by clinton.

She lived through the largest propaganda smear in world history as the pity party recipient.

shes mad as hell at the establishment on both sides.

and this makes her my ally, because i'm mad at both sides.

other than that, she is a wreckless clone democrat with

only one good goal; her original sailboat; universal healthcare.

If she can implement universal healthcare, i will be impressed as the republicans would be four square against it.

the same goes for obama.

The problem with hillary is that her overall thinking is two

dimensional. She didn't do her job as a senator well enough to bother to be one of the heros trying to keep us out of the war.

There were a few heros like dennis kucinich and barrack obama who were against it from the beginning and i was not

fooled by the rights propaganda ever.

• 1 decade ago

Everyone says Obama has so little experience -- well Hillary doesn't much because she has been the JUNIOR Senator from New York for the past few years, but she was not the former President of the US, and has absolutely no experience other than being an attorney. She buried her head to much that went on during her husband's Presidency (especially the Monica stuff) and to me that shows very little self respect. I don't want a President with no self respect. She is living a pipe dream.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

She has no longer have been given very lots of the main appropriate style of journey. it quite is one ingredient to be seen. at the same time as Senators have been elected president in the previous, maximum have had some style of easily management journey, in the defense force, as a governor, a management place in Congress, ran a private business enterprise and so on. She has journey with how issues perform in D.C. yet i do no longer see any genuine management journey different than ceremonial or fugurehead type stuff. it quite is important that the President/Commander-in-chief be lots greater effective than a stable baby-kisser. He/she would desire to have the means to make life and loss of life judgements and encourage others to stay with. -Merry Christmas

• John
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I am Hillary's age and I never heard of her until Bill ran for the presidency. Her only experience is the 6 years that she has been in the senate. She claims that she has 35 years experience in politics. I wish that she would clarify it. There's 29 years experience that isn't accounted for.

• 1 decade ago

Because Hillary knows the ropes she been too other countrys ,she knows whats happening in goverment, she knows what congress is all about ,do you think she had her eyes closed while in the WhiteHouse... shes a very intelligent women shes no phoney ...and she knows the ins and outs of politics shes experienced more then anyone running ...regardless if you know that or not she is the one who deserves this job as President of the United States.. she can run this country the way it suppose to be ran its a fact.....HILLARY CLINTON... FOR PRESIDENT REGARDLESS WHO LIKES HER OR NOT!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Precisely. As time goes on, she is more and more convinced that she was in charge in the White House. She say she will be ready on Day One. So, what does she think McCain or Obama will do? Wait to be ready on Day Six or Day Eight?

• 1 decade ago

Hillary has no qualification whatsoever to be president but she has some limited appeal to people who feel sitting down to pee is all the qualification and experience necessary.

• DOOM
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, I've never heard her talk about any of her pre-White House experience. Here's the thing: My father is a retired Naval officer. My mother has been married to him for 30 years. My mother doesn't know squat about the military.

• 1 decade ago

She has just as much experience being president as Obama.

Zilch! Zero! Nada!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.