Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Sword techniques?

What sword styles (fencing, katana, Saber, etc) have different pros and cons? Which sword style is "the best" and why?

Plus, how do I learn that?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I will just give you my experience with a katana, you can judge for yourself.

They are battlefield swords which had to resist blocking weapons like chains, halberds, spears, and more.

They are VERY sharp to the point that well made katana in the hands of a semi-skilled practitioner can cut through at times up to 6 bodies through the centre of the torso and all the way through the spine as well as being proven to actually be able to cut bullets.

The are folded soft and hard metal in a way that other smiths admit is absolutely amazing so that they hold an amazingly sharp edge while not being brittle.

They were the favoured weapon by an amazing class of warriors for centuries in Japan before they became bureaucrats.

At the time that the samurai were warriors the schools of swordsmanship were amazing because they were hard .Things like "training with bokken [wooden swords] and if you got hit and broke something it was like wow you broke that, go to the bonesetter and keep training'" are how these schools are remembered.

They were amazing for what they were constructed to be and are still an amazingly, simplistically elegant piece of technology.

How you can learn it... well many of the good schools are gone.You'd have to find an amazingly old school teacher probably from a very old regional style of kenjutsu. Check the mountains of Japan I don't think they have websites.

• 1 decade ago

All sword styles have their pros and cons. Which style is "best" depends upon the fencer. Of the three sport weapons, sabre is fenced the fastest. Many exchanges last about a second or two. It favors a very fast athleticism, especially quick leg and arm actions and lightning reflexes. On the other end of that spectrum, epee tends to be fenced in a very deliberate style. Fencers often spend a minute or more sizing up their opponent and waiting for an opening. Point control, the ability to strike a particular point on a moving target, is prized. Foil falls between the two in the physical realm, but stands out as the event that draws on the most elaborate tactics. While you almost never see more than a parry-riposte in sabre and a feint-disengage in epee, in foil it is not at all unusual to see a good foil fencer employ a compound attack composed of a second intention, feint-double disengage. They say "Sabre is theater, foil is art, and epee is truth!"

Find out more about fencing by locating a club and taking lessons. You can find a club near you by going to US Fencing Assn. http://www.usfencing.org/

Source(s): US Fencing Coaches College, L1 Epee, L1 Foil. Five years experience foil and epee.
  • With sabre, its advantage it usually going to be speed and agility, but lacking in strength.

In Kenjutsu, although i never tried it,it appears to be a bit of a middle ground.

German longsword seems to have the edge in strength and power, but lacks speed.

How to learn fencing, just find a fencing academy. for kenjutsu, just find whatever school you want in Japan. For longsword, I'm not real sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.