Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelSpainOther - Spain · 1 decade ago

living in spain?

i currently live in england-i was boen in england.i want to sell up and go and live in spain or france ,i won't need to work for some time as i would have enough money to live off for many many years.however if i want to live all year round in spain or france am i forced to apply for residency .please advise as i am all for moving abroad.

Favorite Answer

Recent EU rules, means EU citizens don't need to apply for permission to be resident in another country in the EU.

I can speak for Spain. You should go to the "Oficina de Extranjería" in the region where you are going to live, just to register and get a "Numero de Identificación de Extranjero" - NIE. The NIE is very useful and in many cases necessary whenever you need to do anything that involves the authorities. You should consider health care. If you're planning to take advantage of the Spanish public health care system, then you will need to pay contributions. If you don't want to pay contributions, then you should consider medical insurance.

With regards to France. It is over 16 years since I lived there, so I can't speak much to the regulations nowadays. I did note however that a recent French Government change means that any non-working expats below retirement age are not entitled to state health care.

If you are moving to Spain there are several issues to bear in mind. Residency is just one of them. Tax is another, health care is another but the biggest thing to think about is how positive are you to be able to sell up in the UK.

I live in Spain and come from the UK. It was my intention to come here with my family and integrate into the Spanish way of life. I am a guest in someone elses country irrespective of the EU and my right to be here. Many Brits come here for the weather, the cheap cost of living, and the social life. Many have no intention of learning the language, integrating and becoming part of the community.

I am learning the language. I am now a resident and I pay my taxes in Spain. Health care, if you are under 65 you will need to make provisions in the form of private medical insurance.

The tax system in Spain differs to the UK. There are two ways of being taxed. Either as a resident or a non resident. You should ask your abogado (lawyer) for sdvice on taxes in Spain. They have a tax here which they don't have in the UK. It is a wealth tax. It is better to be a resident but advice should be sort.

Don't come here without doing any homework. The first thing to do is get a good English speaking lawyer to help you through the "minefield" of buying a house and setting up home.

Bear in mind, this is not a good time to be moving money abroad for any reason. The pound is falling against the Euro. In the 5 years since I have been here the pound has fallen by 30 cents to the pound. It was €1.60 to to the pound, now it's €1.30 to the pound. Those are commercial rates. That's almost a 20% drop in currency.

If you intend coming here then be positive and don't be afraid of residency. Since getting residency and learning the language, it has paid dividends by doing so, especially with the local community.

Good luck.

We have lived in Spain for 3 years now and you are not forced to take residency. It helps and I think its better if you do but there are a lot of brits here who do not have residency.

If I can give you any advice, I would come out here, rent somewhere to live for a few months and just hang out for a while! Look around the place, go to the coast, come up to the mountains and think really really hard about what you want. It is not easy to move to Spain. Its not cheap to live here anymore and the language is a big hurdle - as a matter of respect, it is important that you speak the lingo. BUT at the same time, it is the best move we have ever made. The weather is fab, where we live is very safe for my whole family and the people are great!

Good luck!

If your husband is receiving invalidity benefit then he can draw it from his U.K. bank here, you probably will find that you can buy his medication over the counter in any Farmacia and you may well find that the better climate and less stressful way of life will improve his health, as you say you always feel better when you are here. We have been here 17 years now and certainly wouldn´t go back. It hasn´t all been easy but it has definitely been worthwhile, however you do need to be sure that you have got some sort of income until you can find work. It is fairly easy to find somewhere to rent on the Costa del Sol due to the massive amount of building that has gone on down here and work is not impossible due to the large expat community. You only live once so what have you got to lose? If you are interested you can read of our experiences coming to Spain by clicking on the link below:-

If you're going to Spain don't invest to heavily until you are sure you want to stay, rent property buy a second hand car etc.

You have to get an N.I.E. number you cannot get anything done without it, i.e. rent the phone, pay for electric or water etc. If you are not going to work you will have to apply for residency, the non residency rule only applies to people who work, you will need medical insurance or pay into the Spanish NHS but if you are of retirement age or when you reach retirement age you can joint the Spanish NHS with the UK government covering your costs. One draw back is that the Spanish NHS has started a policy of using only the Spanish language in NHS hospitals and medical centres, if you cannot speak Spanish you have to provide a translator at your expense.

If you decide to go ahead I wish good luck I have recently returned to the UK after 4 Years living in Tenerife, it was the crazy bureaucracy that I couldn't stand any more.

One other thing if and when you get involved with estate agents, my experience is keep them at arms length they are not your friend and are not constrained by the same legal rules that UK agent have to abide by.

Spain recently did away with residency for eu citizens, but I'm not sure how it works now. If you're not working there you wouldn't have any problems staying as long as you liked but if you take a business or get a job then you would have to register for tax etc. Just be a bit careful of Spain if you think about starting business there because they will rip you off in every way possible. What ever money you have they could take off you in a year, they are very corrupt from the top down, and they don't like the British too much.

Hi Sally,

You don't have to do anything as you are a member of the EU. You do not have to apply for any sort of residency at all.

However, you may wish to remove yourself from the UK tax system although if you are not working in Spain that shouldn't be a problem.

If you are considering Spain then can I suggest the area within a two hour radius of Madrid? Castilla is very untouched and has some great cities such as Salamanca, Segovia and Toledo.

Enjoy it!

• dubie

In Spain you are not. The regulations recently aligned themselves with European law and you are not required to have a residency card.

If you really want to settle in Spain i.e. buy a house, open a current account etc. , you need to get an NIE number though.

This is a number that identifies you as a foreigner with business in Spain. All people who buy a property in Spain (even if they live somewhere else) have to have one of these numbers so it doesn't denote residency.

i have been in Spain for 2 years, after 4 years residency is automatic as you can't apply for it now. the only thing i would do is get the NIE number (the equivalent of national insurance) and a social security if you want it just for ID puposes

I have lived in Spain now for almost 8 years.When we first came to Spain we did everything by the book, we had to apply for residency and we also had to have proof of income.

But things have changed now, and it's true you do not have to become a resident. I live in Murcia, and i still love it and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever, you have one life, do it or live to regret it. Good luck