why does eating bread before drinking help you?

i dont understand how eating before consuming alcohol can cause you to get less drunk. even if bread or something absorbs the alcohol...it is still in your system and should still get digested right?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It helps you because you are not drinking on an empty stomach, the alcohol won't hit you as harsh.

• 1 decade ago

It isn't like a slice of bread is the magical solution to keeping you sober longer, like some people seem to believe.

Everything you consume starts to get broken down to little bits the second it hits your stomach and is mixed with stomach acids. The intestines suck anything useful out of what you consume and anything that is useless is processed into waste.

If you drink after eating, your organs will be busy breaking down your food and it will take more time to get to the alcohol. If you drink on an empty stomach the first thing your organs get to is alcohol, it gets into your blood much quicker, allowing you to get trashed faster.

I really hope this helped you understand. It isn't only bread that helps, it's basically everything from a small glass of water to a large meal which slows down the absorption of alcohol.

• 1 decade ago

When you drink with empty stomach, alcohol digests in your system faster than after you had some food.

The other way is eat something salty... it helps but not as good as eating before drinking.

• 1 decade ago

Ok! Here is the skinny on that myth! You can eat bread, but eat bread coated with olive oil. The oil will coat your stomach and the alcohol absorption rate will be diminished..not stopped. Just don/t drive.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

What about the bread doesn't it break down and send sugars or fats that work against the body?

• 1 decade ago

the bread suck up the alcohol so you can drink some more. That all i know.

• 1 decade ago

Drinking on an empty stomach is bad, as long as there is food in your stomach you will do much better.

You will get sicker with an empty stomach than with a full one!

• 1 decade ago

i believe that it only helps you from feeling sick if you drink a lot.. the booze won't upset your stomach as much or as quickly

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've learned, that it doesn't help at all. It's all psychological and in your head. If you think it will help it does and if you dont it wont. But it doesn't always help.

• 1 decade ago

Darlin,

I believe..the whole thing...I coats ur'e stomach...there for U are'nt slammed as bad..& Ur'e less likely to get sick to ur'e stomach....But U know what they say...Good Luck!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.