What is the meaning of the song "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova?

I don't know you

But I want you

All the more for that

Words fall through me

And always fool me

And I can't react

And games that never amount

To more than they're meant

Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home

We've still got time

Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice

You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me

And I can't go back

Moods that take me and erase me

And I'm painted black

You have suffered enough

And warred with yourself

It's time that you won

We've still got time

Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice

You've made it now

We've still got time

You've made it now

Falling slowly sing your melody

I'll sing along

Best Answer

My interepretation line by line (some of them):

I don't know you ~ I just met you.

But I want you ~ but I like you a lot

All the more for that ~ because for some reason I want to know all about you.

Words fall through me ~ I'm saying things I usually don't say to other people

And always fool me

And I can't react ~ I'm not sure what to do

And games that never amount ~ I'm starting to play games to make you like me more

To more than they're meant

Will play themselves out ~ eventually I'll stop playing games when I know you want me.

Take this sinking boat and point it home ~ say you like me too and want to take me home with you

We've still got time ~ it's early!

Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice ~ Say yes, but it's ok if you say no.

You've made it now ~ You agreed!

Falling slowly, eyes that know me ~ falling in love with the person, feeling that they know you the way no one else does.

And I can't go back ~ life before was ok, now with love it is wonderful, if he/she were to lose that love, it would be really tough going back to being alone.

Moods that take me and erase me ~ I forget how I usually act and I'm feeling like a new person.

And I'm painted black - blank

You have suffered enough - You've been through some tough relationships (talking to the person he/she loves)

And warred with yourself ~ You've battled with letting yourself Love me.

It's time that you won ~ You love me now and you have one because it is for real this time.

Take this sinking boat and point it home ~ Let's make a home together.

We've still got time ~ We have time to do all the things we want to do together.

Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice - Say yes, but it is ok if you say no.

You've made it now ~ You've made the decision to love me.

Falling slowly sing your melody ~ You lead the way

I'll sing along ~ I'll follow

Source(s): My own interpretation line by line.
    • Sara4 years agoReport

A lot of good thoughts but I disagree. Like painted black means there's a lack of hope. Sadness...not about love. It's about getting through pain and trials with someone. Your interpretation was nice and insightful though :)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I don't know you

But I want you

All the more for that

Words fall through me

And always fool me

And I can't react

And games that never amount

To more than they're meant

Will play themselves out

We've still got time

Raise your...

Source(s): meaning song quot falling slowly quot glen hansard marketa irglova: https://tr.im/uDehL

This was from an interview done on, by, the artists who wrote the song. It wasn't really about love, or a specific relationship. It's not a person to person romance song. It's more about healing and surviving life's ups and downs by leaning on, and sharing your pain with, someone, anyone, whoever it may be. They'll be doing it together, and letting go of to the pain... :)

For “Falling Slowly” Hansard formulated a simple stairstep guitar progression and an opening line: “I don’t know you, but I want you.” With Carney’s go-ahead on the idea, he turned to Irglová to help him complete the song. Within a few hours at Irglová’s house, they composed a swelling, swaying hymn to the ways in which people can help one another to overcome emotional scars. “It was quite long ago, so I don’t really remember who wrote what,” Irglová confesses. “I know we sat at the piano, and by the end of the evening we had a song finished.”

—By Chris Neal

Falling Slowly Lyrics

To me it means to not give up and to have hope!This song really speaks for itself.I was going through a tough time in my life.Especially, a passing of a loved one.This song told me to not worry about them.They are safe up in heaven and one day we will meet again.But for now,do what you have to do.Until then I'll see you soon!