Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

20 facts about Ulysses Simpson Grant... 10 POINTS!?

Whoever can give me 20 Good FActs! about him... please i would like to know... btw nothing like

Ulysses Simpson Grant was the 18th president or anything like that please... he died from lung cancer... i want things i probably would not know Ty and dont forget first 20 facts that are good at least like 15 that i dont have gets 10 points

Update:

Shut up -.-

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some highlights from last years book report.

1:Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant in Point Pleasant, Clermont County, Ohio, 25 miles east of Cincinnati on the Ohio River, to Jesse Root Grant (1794–1873) and Hannah Simpson (1798–1883). His father, a tanner, and his mother were born in Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1823 they moved to the village of Georgetown in Brown County, Ohio, where Grant spent most of his time until he was 17.

( Ulysses S. Grant set a high jump record at West Point that lasted for more than 25 years )

2: His childhood nickname was " useless " but at 17, he sloughed it off upon entering the USMA.

3: At the age of 17, he barely barely passed the United States Military Academy's height requirement for entrance

4: He graduated from West Point in 1843, ranking 21st in a class of 39

5:Grant drank whiskey and, during the American Civil War, began smoking huge numbers of cigars (one story had it that he smoked over 10,000 in five years) which may have contributed to his developing of throat cancer later in his life ( Ipod, you caught that, he died from throat cancer, not lung cancer )

6: At the academy, he established a reputation as a fearless and expert horseman.

7: He was once ticket ( $20:00 ) for 'driving' his horse to fast.

8: Grant served in the Mexican-American War from 1846–1848) under Generals Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott, taking part in the battles of Resaca de la Palma, Palo Alto, Monterrey, and Veracruz. He was TWICE brevetted for bravery at Molino del Rey and Chapultepec.

9: Ulysses was the first person to become a Four Star General in the U.S. Army

10: Grant was nonpolitical but in 1856 he voted for Democrat James Buchanan for president to avert secession and because "I knew Frémont" (the Republican candidate). In 1860, he favored Democrat Stephen A. Douglas, but did not vote. In 1864 he allowed his political sponsor, Congressman Elihu B. Washburne, to use his private letters as campaign literature for the Union Party, which combined both Republicans and War Democrats. He refused to announce his politics until 1868, when he finally declared himself a Republican

11: Grant ran against the first woman to be nominated for President. Victoria Claflin Woodhall was nominated by the Equal Rights Party.

12 :He loved munching pickles in the mornings.

13: His drink of choice was Old Crow Whiskey

14: Grant had the sad honor of serving as a pallbearer at the funeral of his greatest champion, Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln had been quoted after the massive losses at Shiloh, "I can't spare this general. He fights." It was a two-sentence description that completely caught the essence of Ulysses S. Grant.

15: One Fellow general refered to Grant's fighting style as that of a " Bull dog " ~ meaning he was tenacious ~ lol, once engaged in battle, Grant refused to stop fighting until the combatants either surrendered, or were forced to run off in defeat.

16: His presidential salary started in 1869at $25,000/year (increased to $50,000/year in 1873)

17: He was known to be a man of few words, but when he spoke people listened.

18: He and his wife took a world tour where the crowds revered them everywhere they went. ( after the civil war )

19: Ulysses' nicknames were Uncle Sam Grant and Unconditional Surrender Grant for his initials U.S.

20: He is not ' burried ' contrary to emankcin's question,he is actually entombed with his wife on Riverside drive in NYC, and if one so desires they can pay their repects for free, as there is no admission price.

He was a fascinating man,but George Washington is my favorite,because George Washington had the right to sit on the side lines when going into battle but would never do so. He always rode front and center in going into battle, which is why his men respected him so much. ciao,:)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am not sure, but from what I understand there is some confusion as to who is buried in his tomb, as I notice that question is asked a lot. Do you know? Who IS buried in Grants tomb? That's what I want to know.

And dude, who is that girl that answered the 8th grade question that you answered? Her name is butterfly, and she left a very funny post in regards to you. She seems to think that you have a habit of reporting others. She said you are like Santa Claus, because you and Santa Claus like to make list's or something.

• 1 decade ago

hey go onto www.ask.com ask questions that you want to know about him and it will give you a really good answer.

• 1 decade ago

look on the internet yourself.. dont rely on others for all the answers...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.