Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does anyone still worship ancient greek gods like Apollo and Diana?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I do!!

Source(s): Hellenic Polytheist http://hellenismos.us/
  • Aravah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

answer: Yes, probably more than anyone thinks. There's a small group in Greece attempting to get permission from the government to practice their religion openly at ancient sites. Being an orthodox controlled country - they're fighting an uphill battle but struggling on.

Elsewhere, yes - people do worship the Greek deities and Roman and Northern and Baltic and Slavic and Celtic..........

Some as part of a reconstruction Greek pagan tradition, others as eclectics, some as Wiccans.

Source(s): Recon Heathen
  • 1 decade ago

Just a note, the hell taught by christians is not the same as the greek mythology and hades. The greek mythology had levels, a happy place if you where good, endless roaming around if you were inbetween, and endless torture if you were evil. Christianity teaches, hell if you reject christ, heaven if you accept him as your lord and saviour. No difference if you are good or bad since everyone is a sinner. The the reason there are similarities is because Jesus lived and taught in the same area. There were lots of greeks and romans as well. All religions teach hell as a bad place, that doesn't mean that all the religions are one and the same, does it?

• 1 decade ago

Yes, the ancient Greek religions are still practiced today, not nearly by as many people who use to, but just as with most Pagan religions, it's followers may number few compared to the main stream religions, but the belief is not gone!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

As a matter of fact they do. In fact a report in 2004 sited that at least one million people in Greece were followers of the traditional Greek Gods and the numbers of those outside of greece are substantially higher, estimated to be nearly two and a half times that of the people IN Greece that follow the gods and growing.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I believe the gods' influence still lives on in every one of us. It does not matter whether one believes they exist or not because they left a huge impact in history philosophy society politics... The term immortal and divine means they are immortal but not in a physical state but as symbols and ideas. I encourage this movement because it shows how proud the Greeks are of their past and culture unlike other countries who disregard their past,ancestors and roots.

• 1 decade ago

strangely enough , I had Diana on my mind last night

but yes there are still people out there who believe in the Gods and Goddesses of ancient times

edit

I would appreciate anyone with any knowledge who would know why I would be thinking of Diana

edit

I didnt know there was an eclipse

interesting , thank you

• 6 years ago

One, the only people who worship FAKE gods are RETARDED. Two, they were a myth created by people like Homer in the dark ages when the Greek era was starting. Thank you For being some of the Retarded people in the world.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, many still do worship the deities of ancient pantheons.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Catholics simply replaced the goddess with Mary-Queen of Heaven.

I recall a Temple of Diana in Seattle, conducting the Diana's Bow ceremony regularly, but that was years ago.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, quite a few. Several of the pagan religions. Hellenismos would be one, some Wiccans honor greek deities, and a variety of other religions may honor those deities.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.