Is there a way to find out how much is owed on a house before it's foreclosed?

I know a house will be foreclosing next month, and I was told that if I make an offer that is less than what is still owed by the current owners, that I'd be "spinning my wheels." Is that info public or is there an easy way of finding the information? I know they had it for a year, bought it for 132000 and it's been on the market for about 10 months. I would like to bid 105000 (110 tops) but its on the market at 135000 right now. Should I just wait til auction and not hassle with it until then (even though we really want the house)?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Do your due diligence. Go talk to the county and see what has been recorded on it. Make sure there is no additional leins or seconds. See if the property taxes are current, etc.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

if the house is on the market, ask the listing agent to show you the preliminary title insurance on the property. The title, or title insurance is a record of all the liens and money owed for that property. If the agent hasn't ordered title yet, go to your yellow pages and call a title company, give them the address, ask them if there are any liens (sewer, back child support) or taxes owed. they may charge you. the listing agent should give you this info--but i dont know about your state.

if they owe the bank 130,000 they cant sell it to you for 105,000. Not unless you do a short sale with the bank. Banks will take it to auction first on the off chance someone WILL pay 130k or better yet 135-140k when they start bidding.

bottom line is, if you want the house and the fair market value (135k) is reasonable, why wouldn't you buy it at the market price? if what you are looking for is the deal of a life time, it will probably go hand in hand with the hassle of the auction.

some counties have websites that actually show how much the taxes are on a property and what is owed--you may have something available like that.

The foreclosures are becoming really common. In seattle where i am from there are thousands of houses in foreclosure. The median price for a house is around 400k. so even if you get a 500k house for 400k-YOU STILL OWE SOMEONE $400k!!!! and what if prices continue to drop? that 400k house is now worth 300? --well you get the idea.

good luck with your search. my feeling is there are probably no shortage of houses in foreclosure in your area.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, you can simply call the lender and ask for the current pay off amount on the home. It sounds like you got a Broker who gave you the information about spinning your wheels by making an offer that is lower than what is owed. Most Brokers will use that tactic because they get a % of the sale that is usually 5% and if they get you too make a higher offer then they get more money. As for offering 105,000 I would say that that is a more than fair offer. If you thind of the position that the loan company is in, they are going too loose money on their loan and should therefore be more than willing too get rid of the hassle without loosing even more bu having too pay a Broker their comission on top of the intrest that they will already be loosing because they are not going too collect intrest for a 30 year period. You might even consider offering $100,000 and then re submitting or submitting a counter offet if they turn your first offer down.

• godged
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is not public information what is owed on the house and no lender is going to give you someone else's loan balance.

You can make an offer with the current owners, but the lender will have to approve the purchase price if the current owners owe more than the house is worth.

The lender will likely send someone to the auction to bid on it, so if you really want the house, you may want to try the current owners first. Take a Realtor with you and have them write the offer, lenders very rarely will deal with non-licensed people.

Source(s): Oregon Realtor
    • Michelle5 years agoReport

There is no way to find out what was owed on the house at time of foreclosure. It is NOT public record, not by county records or assessment. If the house was sold at a profit the home owner may be entiltled to the profit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You should first off get a realtor that specializes in short sales to make an offer on the property on a short sale basis based on lender approval. Make sure that your realtor does the negotiations with the bank so they are looking out for your best interest. If it's worth your time your realtor can find out what is owned on the mortgage after getting an authorization to release information from the other borrower and requesting a payoff from their lender. You might also be able to get some of this information from your local title company depending on your agents relationship with them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can’t ever know the exact amount of the mortgage. It would put the seller at a disadvantage for you to know this, so the only fair way to play it is to offer what you think is fair, keeping in mind that banks often aren’t willing to counter offer. They tend to either accept or reject.

When I bought an REO, we did our best to estimate from the last sale and the auction price, but I don’t believe the auction price took into account he second mortgage.

• pry
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

in case you do no longer pay the taxes, the county can foreclose, then the lender will foreclose. I advise you pay those taxes or artwork out a fee plan as quickly as achieveable. The federal companies do no longer wait to take the living house like lender does.

• 1 decade ago

Ask the bank that holds the mortgage. At this stage the bank wants 100% of the money due them, so lowballing is not really an option.

• 1 decade ago

If it's in foreclosure, the bank decides what it wants for the fee and they most likely will not negotiate. They know there are people out there who will pay full asking price.

• Magus
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Go to the local registry office and it usually costs about $15.00 to do a title search then you can see what is registered on title...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.