Why do people joke about Atheists eating babies?

I wonder where this started. I have ASSumed it was an accusation made by a non Atheist that was scooped up and owned in a similar manner that some have embraced and owned the insult "vile temptress".

I can't help but cringe and feel like fleeing everytime I see those jokes though.

Sock it to me. What is the origin of this joke?

Peace and many thanks.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

So many people have accused atheists of being immoral that they picked out the worst thing they could be accused of as a joke. What's ironic is that early Christians were actually accused of eating babies because they would go searching for unwanted babies that parents had abandoned to the elements. They took in so many unwanted babies the rumor went around that they must be eating them.

So whenever an atheist makes that joke, they are unknowingly aligning themselves with Christians.

I'm with you; Ceiling Cat is funny, but the baby-eating gets to me.

• matti

Atheists Eat Babies

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I can't help but cringe and feel like fleeing everytime I see those jokes...

Source(s): people joke atheists eating babies: https://tr.im/CIUNF

I m an Atheist and hear that joke all the time from other Atheists mostly, but occasionally from Atheist haters. Personally I don t find it humorous, but hey, to each his/her own. I believe it goes back to religious leaders trying to convince their sheople that we are devil worshippers and we re evil and some people have eluded that since satanic cults allegedly sacrifice babies to satan, Atheists must play along and eat the babies. It s all horse ****. If anything, Atheists are more likely to protect a baby and do a good deed than a christian is. Why? For one thing, life is more precious to us. There is no afterlife, so this is our one shot at existence. Also, we do good deeds because it s the right thing to do, while christians do it because they are told that if they don t, they will burn in hell.

• will grant3 years agoReport

Typical atheist trying to stereotype believers. You forgot the other end where atheists also commit evil because they don't believe in consequences after death.
      Being afraid of burning in hell is no deterrent. Truly good people go to heaven in our eyes and bad people, go to hell.

It's an example of an extreme accusation made against a vaguely threatening and misunderstood "enemy". Accusations of this kind are made against groups of people to stir up xenophobia and outrage. The atheists are just laughing it off because it is so ridiculous.

To be absolutely serious, baby-eating would be a maladaptive behavior, since they are the replacement generation for a mortal species. The subtext of the accusation is that these people are insane and self-destructive and you don't want them around. No babies are actually harmed in the contemplation of these thoughts, nor do these thoughts change anyone's mind about the desirability of consuming babies. Does this clarify the issue?

As a Pagan, we've always had this joke in our community. It comes from Jack Chic comics and similar ilk. I assume the same must be true of atheists who make this joke.

According to Stuey from Family Guy, Jeb Bush eats live puppies.

Sorry. Tough to type while I'm eating this second baby burger.

I'm not sure why us atheists eat all these babies. But I do know they go great with a nice bottle of the blood of Christ. A Catholic friend of mine introduced me to that stuff. He says his family drinks the blood and eats the flesh of Christ almost every week. Seems they never get tired of it.

Because they think fetuses are babies. We're not opposed to stem cell research. One bad reductio ad absurdum with maybe a little help from that one southpark episode with fetus research and Christopher Reeve and presto chango atheists eat babies.

thats just my guess

• First, it was the conversion of the pagans and the slandering of healers and midwives (witches) who were not catholic during the middle ages...

Then it was thrown at Jewish culture to villainize them...

Atheists were included in the propaganda for a long time.

In recent decades, it has become anyone who supports a pro choice position....

In this forum, there were some misspellings about eating "babbys" thrown at atheists, and the atheists picked it up as a game.

Distasteful, at times, but the game is rooted in mocking evangelical propaganda.

It's called a blood libel. People used to accuse Jews of eating babies and gentile children in the middle ages.

That is the true origin.

Because so many people believe that Atheists , in general , are far more intelligent than believers . The ones who make ignorant remarks about Atheists are doing their very best to prove them right .