Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Rate of Change With Derivatives Problem?

I think I found a solution for this problem, but I don't think its right.

The area of a circular segment (crust of a piece of pizza) is given by the formula (1/2) *r^2 * (theta - sin(theta)) where r is the radius and theta is the central angle of the circle in radians. Also, s= r*theta, where s is the circular arc. If the perimeter of the circular sector (entire piece of pizza) is fixed at 200 ft, what valuse of r and s will give the segment the greatest area.

BTW, this is the exact question as it is on my worksheet. I got confused by perimeter of circular sector (does that include the sides or just the arc).

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The perimeter includes the sides

The perimeter is p = 2r + s = 2r + r θ = 200

then θ = (200 – 2r)/r

The area of the sector is

A(r) = ½ r s = ½ r² θ = [r(200 – 2r)]/2 = - r² + 100r

A’(r) = - 2r + 100 = 0 for r = 50

The area is the greatest when r = 50 ft

and s = 200 – 2*50 = 100 ft

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

placed the sunshine at a distance D = 30 ft to the wall, enable Mona be T = 6 ft tall, enable her shadow be s ft tall. denote Mona's distance to the sunshine be x(t) the place t = time. Her velocity v is then: dx/dt = v Now in case you comedian strip this out you have 2 desirable triangles first one has x as a base and T as a leg 2nd one has L as a base and s as a leg the backside of the two triangles lay on mind-blowing of one yet another, and since the shadow, s, is defined by the line made by the sunshine, the mind-blowing of Mona's head, and the element on the wall the sunshine reaches, the two triangle's hypotoneus lay on choose of one yet another, so as that they've a similar indoors angles. call the attitude between the hypotoneus and base q. Then by elementary trig: tan(q) = T/x = s/D ---> x = TD/s Take d/dt for locate velocity: v = dx/dt = -TD/s^2 ds/dt Now you're instructed ds/dt = 3 ft/s whilst s = 9 ft so v = -6ft*30ft*3ft/s/(9 ft)^2 = - 2ft/sec the minus sign shows she is working in the direction of the sunshine because we defined the gap from the sunshine to th ewall as a favorable displacement (path).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.