NoEgo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Chinese translation, correct my mistakes.?

那穿白衣服的小姑娘爱丽小姐把全部情形说出来之后,他们呆的像木鸡一样。

The little girl in white (clothes), miss Eileen (爱丽) explained the whole situation afterwards, they stayed...

I can't make out that sentence, sorry.

他说她看见的只是一个可怜的乌黑的烟囱小孩, 一面哭,

She said she just saw one poor, little boy covered in black, crying and ready to return inside the chimney.

当然,他当时非常害怕,这也难怪,事情就是这样。

Of course at that time he was very afraid; no wonder with a situation like that.

房间的里的东西一件也没有少。

There were quite a few things in the room.

Now, I know my translation is inaccurate for this one. I can't understand this part:

房间的里的东西

Which means the things in the room, but I'm lost about that part:

一件也没有少

件 means item. I suppose 没有少 means a lot (not a few).

从那一双乌黑的小脚印可以看出,

From the footprints it was possible to distinguish,

这孩子在老保姆来到之前,根本就没有离开炉毯一步,整件事情完全是个误会。

The child's nurse came first, she simply couldn't leave one step away from the stove, the whole things was a misunderstanding.

Not so confident about this one.

Favorite Answer

那名穿着白衣的爱丽小姐把全部情形说出来之后,他们像木鸡似的愣住了。

After the little girl in white (clothes), miss Eileen (爱丽) explained the entire situation, they were totally stunned like a "Mu Ji"(wooden Chicken) [no expression].

她说她只是看见一名可怜的小男孩全身漆黑,哭泣着,准备回烟囱里去。

She said she just saw one poor little boy covered in black, crying and ready to return inside the chimney.

他当时非常惶恐。事情到了如此地步,这也难怪。

房间里有不少东西。

You almost get "房间的里的东西" correct if you were to eliminate the 的 after the 房间. We always say 房间里的,桌子里的,笼子里的,etc.. Always the place followed by 里的 to mean "Inside place, ..."

Yes 件 is a counter for items/clothes. 没有少 is an idiomatic phrase. When you break it into 没有(don't have) and 少(less) you know that there is nothing less. This also means that there are a lot of things. Sometimes we use 没有少 to mean that the things have not been touched by anyone because nothing have gone missing =D

Your last Chinese sentence and the English translation mean different things. Your Chinese sentence means "The child did not leave the stove until the nurse came. The whole things was a misunderstanding."

And your English translation has the meaning of

"从那一双双乌黑的小脚印看来,孩子的老保姆先到。

之后她并没有离开炉早一步。整件事情完全是个误会。" in Chinese.

一双双 is not a grammar rule but if we are used to repeat the 双 if there are many pairs.

Another thing to take note is the use of "姑娘". It was used very frequently in ancient China. Nowadays we rarely call ladies or miss XXX 姑娘。Nowadays it is use for humour, make fun of the girls. Try using only 小姐. Using 姑娘 makes you sound very OLD.

Hope these help :)