Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Veterinary Assistant VS. Veterinary Technician?

What is the difference between a vet assistant deploma and a vet tech liscence?

Is there a large difference between the jobs?

Thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes! There is a huge difference between the two jobs. I have been a veterinary assistant for over 3 years and that job is more of a janitorial position and it includes a lot of cleaning of animals and cages and in a lot of hospitals is on the low end of the employee status. You can get better duties though, if you're lucky enough to have an open-minded veterinarian that is willing to teach you additional tasks. I am going to school currently to get my vet tech license, it takes 2 years and you get an associates degree. With a veterinary technician you do a lot of lab work, you assist in surgery, adminster medications and withdraw blood samples, discuss details with clients, there is just a lot more medical knowledge than that of a veterinary assistant. I hope this has helped!

Source(s): personal experience
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Pamela
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/MuZR4

Although the duties will vary depending on the particular clinic, the two positions really come down to education and training. Veterinary Assistants are people who have worked around animals, are comfortable with clerical duties, and are willing to perform other tasks (dog walking, cleaning kennels, feeding, holding animals still for the doctor, etc.). Veterinary Technicians on the other hand are usually trained, often certified to perform more than just basic tasks. They often will collect blood/stool/urine samples, prep animals for surgery (shaving), and even perform small procedures such as cleaning wounds and bandaging. They may also still do some of the tasks an assistant might. Because they have these skills, techs usually make more than assistants. If the clinic you're considering is hiring an assitant, you should probably expect the pay to be an hourly rate... probably in the neighborhood of $8 - $12 per hour (depends a lot on where you live in the country and just how in need the clinic is).

• 3 years ago

Vet Assistant Vs Vet Tech

• lydick
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Vet Tech Vs Vet Assistant

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Veterinary Assistant VS. Veterinary Technician?

What is the difference between a vet assistant deploma and a vet tech liscence?

Is there a large difference between the jobs?

Thanks!

Source(s): veterinary assistant veterinary technician: https://tr.im/ZfkBI
  • 1 decade ago

Yes there are several differences between assistants and technicians.

Most technicians need to graduate from an AVMA accredited program. usually with a 4 year bachelor of science degree. Once they do, they need to take a national exam in order to be a licensed technician. After that they need to take several continuing education classes every two years in order to keep their license.

Techs have a higher salary. They perform tasks such as placing catheters, draw blood and other samples, scrubbing in for surgery, administer medications, perform physical exams, take radiographs, and perform laboratory tests.

Assistants don't need a license and don't have to continually take more classes. They are not allowed do medical tasks, they mainly work in kennel areas, restrain animals, clerical duties, feed animals, and assist Techs and Vets. Assistants do not get paid as well.

http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animatedjourney...

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos183.htm

http://www.navta.net/

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

In Canada, it is the other way around. The vet tech does usually does more administrative work. They're the ones that greet you when you come into the office, weighs your pet, and provide you with feeding instructions, etc. On the other hand, the vet assistant is the one that actually assists the vet, draws blood, etc...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

umm are these american job names???

i think i veterinary assistant only helps out.

cleans, walks, does admin work, holds the animals when the veterinary teechnician does the harder work (blood taking, surgery)

wages are very different

in the UK veterinary nurses (assistants?) get paid around £15,000 a year.

veterinary sugreons (technicians?) get paid about... £25,000 a year?

veterinary technicians have a greater responsibility and have to dignose as well which is why their pay is higher

• 1 decade ago

Yes there is a big difference as well.(I am a vet of rabbits,guinea pigs,and all birds.I'm studying on dogs,cats and horses now)A vet assistant helps out the actual vet by giving it its medicines,helping on operations,all that stuff.A vet technician runs all the computers and the moniters used for operations and check-ups.Does this answer your question enough?

Source(s): Lic.Vet
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.