Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

My parrot seems to have developed an erotic fixation with my feather duster?

Is this normal? How should I deal with it?

kthnxbai!!!

Best Answer

its natural for birds to find a "mate" but you want to discourage this behaviour since it can lead to plucking and other problems.

Do not get your bird a mate, that is BAD advice and only someone who understands and is knowledgable about breeding should breed.

Just keep the feather duster away from your bird. Not only can this cause problems with plucking and whatnot but who knows what type of bacteria is present on your duster that could potentially harm your bird.

THe bird is telling you it's time for it to get it's" freak on." Maybe you should find another bird of the same species and of opposite sex and let it mate. It should pass after awhile, they only stay in season for a month or so unless you inadvertantly tricked the poor thing into thinking it was spring year round. This is done by the warmth of the home and the lights in your home. ( I used to trick cockatiels into thinking it was time to get mcnasty year round and generating more profit this way.) The longer the light stays on in the home around the bird, and keeping a constant temperature, the bio clock takes over and the freak in him cuts loose. As for your feather duster getting smacked up, let it ride. The poor thing needs a release and eventually it will stop. Better the duster than your hair I always say. If you're really concerned, buy a new duster of a different color, size and shape than the original. That should stop it. Good luck with the bird.

First deal with the cow that has an erotic fixation with the your feather duster, then tackle the parrot.

• Theres nothing wrong with it.

I've got an erotic fixation with your feather duster too

• LillyB

Well I don't think you should interfere. He's not hurting anyone, dare say the duster does not object, maybe just give him some privacy.

• MOLLIE

That is cute... HE or SHE probably thinks it's another bird, and likes to preen it...Clean and fuss over it's feathers...As long as your feather duster is clean I wouldn't worry.

he will be ok. birds flap their feathers when they want to breed. all you are doing is exciting him when you use the feather duster. this is way to funny. kill the feather duster.

you can get your bird a mate. you will lose him to his mate and he will no longer be your pet.

• Regwah

Birds of a feather, bump together!

the little flockers.

So you are telling me you don't like what I give you? I mean I get home after a long day and I never mind getting on my knees and I clean the pipes. Then you post this crap. Thanks a lot!!! I already did it today see if I do it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

it could just be its way of clinging to something. if you remove it, your bird might get depressed [trust me it can happen]. just leave it, and try to get its attention more to humans by playing with it. my bird has the same situation with water bottles, and i just use it for her to play with. since she is always in myattention, shes grown to like both of us.

Source(s): my own bird.