is there anything that I should to prepare my hot water heater for prolonged disconnection?

I am gong to turn of my water heater for the summer soon. I just bought it several weeks ago and I would like to know if there is anything that I should do to prepare it for six plus months of standing idle. drain tank? leave full and add additive?, fire it up periodically to keep thermostat, pilot,burner working correctly?

It is a propane fired 40 liter heater.

It gets so hot at our house in northern Mexico that we can get by very easily with a simple black tube spiral on the roof solar set up.

Of forgot to mention that I planned on bypassing it and just use the other system. So I guess that I should just turn off the gas and connect the other system just after the outlet so i still have fresh water running through it instead of the complete bypass? and still drain it every couple months. I did not want to connect the new system before the inlet because I will have a tank of cold water to clear before the hot water from the roof gets to the faucet or shower. Thank you so much for your time and advice.

Best Answer

Turn off the gas and electricity to the unit. Do not empty the tank, there could be a whole list of things that could go wrong then including premature tank failure. Instead use water from the tank occasionally.

• Mark C

I would leave it full of water, and drain a bucket or so every month so sediment doesn't accumulate. Turn off the gas.

Do not add any additive as this could get into drinking water.

Way to save energy !

Turn off the gas supply. Why drain the take if you will still be running water through it?

Source(s): 21 years as a general contractor in San Diego

properly in case you had a chilly water heater it wouldnt do you plenty reliable now could it. and then a ordinary water heater could in basic terms get you one million/2 way, so which you go with the nice and comfortable to end the equation, wish this clears it up =)

turn it complety off and drain the water from it. also, turn off the electricty to it.

dont do anything will be fine