What a good cordless drill that is not a dewalt?

• Stuey
    Favorite Answer

Hitachi drills are good choices since they are often prices well for their features.

The drill you choose should reflect both your need and budget. If the sky's the limit, I'd recommend Bosch.

If you have a lower budget, go with Hitachi. If you have a very low budget, then Craftsman, B&D, and Ryobi are all in the same category, although try to avoid the lower end models from these brands.

Also remember that voltage doesn't mean a lot. For example, Hitachi's 18V offering is more powerful than Craftsman's 19.2V version.

Go with the new Milwaukee 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill. A little pricey at about $300 but you get a 5 year warranty on the tool and 5 year warranty on the batteries! I've used mine since they came out last year and haven't had any problems. My old DeWalt ones have found their way into the trash. The quality of the tools have just seemed to have gone down hill.

I had pretty good luck with my Ryobi a few years ago. Then, last year, Home Depot had a great sale on their Ridgid Li-Ion kit. I bought the hammer drill, recip saw, circ saw, flashlight, 2 batteries and a charger for $260.00 brand new. It's worked like a champ so far, so I gave the Ryobi to my sister, and when I went to her house and used it, it started to smoke (It was over 4 years old by the way, and used everyday for over a year, under houses, in attics, everywhere a HVAC installer would go!!!).

When I worked construction, I used a Ryobi 18 volt. It's a hardy machine, with a lot of power behind it. For all the times I dropped it or hit it, it worked just fine. One battery charge would last me all day long using it.

We have Used Black and Decker for Years. You can Often Buy the Kit with the Rechargable Batteries, and the Small Circular Saw, and router, all in One. Good Luck in your Question

Source(s): Thisis what we have always used for over 20 Years

Ryobi, has the new cordless with the lithium batteries at a fair price.

First responder is wrong; DeWalt is one of Black & Decker's lines. I use Craftsman from Sears.

Makita. They have both professional models and those for the DIY.

I swear by mine, and see if you can get a deal with a second battery.

One can charge as you use the other.

Makita

My husband is a master electrician, he uses a drill almost every day and he swears by Milwalkee, or HILTI if you can afford it.