KB asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

can you get medical for your unborn child?

my insurance covers me during my labor but thats it. im tyring to think ahead of everything i need before my baby gets here -(sept 2008) is their anyway i can get my baby medical insurance before he/she is born? i live in california.

i dont have medical i have blue shiled and i am under my step dads plan until i am 23 so i am not paying for it. im 20 years old

Favorite Answer

your medical insurance won't allow you to add your newborn child to your coverage? That sounds off to me...

I have 30 days from the day she is born to add her to my coverage...you might want to look further into that.

AHH ok so once your child in born you are no longer eligible to be covered under his plan...you need to call BCBS and ask them about there Personal Blue Plan...it's independent coverage for the unemployed, self-employed etc...

I was also covered under my parents BCBS plan when I had my baby. They covered everything that happened in the hospital with the baby and I. Everything concerning my daughter after we left was not covered by them but by medicaid. You should apply for medicaid as soon as possible for yourself. You can have both insurances at the same time. Medicaid will pick up your copays if your doctor is in thier network. Also you will only have to call them to add the child. Don't wait until after the birth to apply. You don't have to utilize the medicaid for yourself if you don't want to. Friends of mine waited and ended up paying medical bills while they were waiting for approval. Everything will be based off your income and not your parents. As long as your a full time student you can stay on your parents medical until the age stated in the contract, but not your baby unless they are legally their dependent.

Source(s): personal experience
  • Your baby is automatically covered under you insurance the first 30 days he/she is born. I believe you have to wait until baby is born to get him in Medi-Cal.

Have you ever heard of Healthy Families? It's also a great program for children. I know that you can apply for it towards the end of your pregnancy. If you are approved they will ask you to submit a copy of baby's birth certificate.

If you are part of a family plan, than any family in the houshold is covered immediately at birth, you just have to notify the plan of a new birth. Atleast, that's how it is on my BCBS.

Hope it help, and Congrats!!

If I were you I would call the local state office where they offer medicaid and see if your qualify. They should be able to help you.

Hope this helps

i live in NY so I'm sure there are some differences in the polices, but I'm due in may and i have medicaid for me and my "unborn" I'm not sure if you would be eligible or not but its worth a shot, but you have to go to the social service office and apply...goodluck..and congrats

Look into medicaid. Unless your step-father takes legal custody of your child he can't have him on his plan.

You can apply for medi-cal which will cover your child depending on your income

You can apply for medicaid at your local health dept.

you can get medicaid for your child and as long as you qualify your child will have it till they are 19.