Leff_NutZ asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

MN Wolves have a great core. What is a realistic goal for their record next season?

Here's this years lineup:

PG- Foye, Jaric, Telfair

SG- McCants, Buckner, Snyder

SF- Brewer, Gomes, Walker

PF- Jefferson, Smith, Richard

C- Ratliff, Doleac, Madsen

But you have to think or hope that Madsen, Walker, Doleac, and Buckner are not going to be here next season.

Any trades or draft possibilities that make sense will help your chances of getting the Best Answer.

Update:

Is there any offseason trades to acquire a Center that could benefit the Wolves? Who are we likely to draft? Come on, answer the question.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, they don't have much to trade after the offseason, as I assume they'll want to keep their young core and the only player who's worth trading for without havign to go through a lot to get him is Ratliff, because of his monster contract for 1 year, but it will be up during the offseason. So, you have to hope that the Wolves can get Roy Hibbert or myabe Michael Beasley in the draft. Roy should be a great center or Beasley could play PF & they could move Jefferson to C. Or, they could sign Ratliff to another big, 1 year contract, trade him to Memphis along with a 2009 or 10 1st round draft pick & Gomes (after signing him to a new deal) for Mike Miller, if Memphis decides to keep their cap for the next year. They get a good veteran who adds some scoring help and they get a big, top talent in the draft. This should give them a good core for the next few years. And I think that a good expectation for them next year is 35-47. They won't be too great next year, as they'll still ber trying to fit everyone in and get a good system going. Hopefully, it won't be too late, as Foye, McCants, & Brewer all have expiring contracts after next year.

EDIT: Also, Brooke Lopez from Stanford is a possibility.

Source(s): My mind.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

They would do very well to win 35 to 40 games next year. They are still a few years away from being a playoff contending team.

Their two biggest needs are a scorer at shooting guard and a true center. McCants will make a good sixth man, but I feel they need an upgrade there. And Ratliff will not cut it at center. He is too old and injury prone at this juncture of his career.

Draft possibility? If he comes out after his freshman year, the center from UCLA would make an excellent fit. Trades would be tough, because they are not that deep.... but hopefully they can pick up a free agent or two during the off-season.

I think the world of Al Jefferson and see him leading this team to the playoffs in a couple of years. But to expect that next year will be tough unless they get a key center acquisition.

Good question. Thanks

• 1 decade ago

Well, I don't know what their salary cap situation is, but if they get O.J Mayo in the draft, that would be huge. they have no centers. Ratliff has been in the twilight of his career for years, and Doleac and Madsen are just roster fillins. They desperately need a quality center. Mayo would fit in great with Minnesota, especially with......

.....Al Jefferson at power forward. Those two dudes could compete with any center/PF duo in the west. However, the T-Wolves need a healthy Randy Foye for next season. Foye looked good in his rookie season, but he has only played in 12 games this season. Foye needs to stay healthy and improve as a passer (2.7 assists per game through his career)

Rashad McCants has finally broken out-somewhat-after two awful seasons (14.7 PPG, 40% from downtown). He needs to step it up more, but he's taken a big step this year.

As for their bench, theres talent there, but hwo well will they mesh together?

Minnesota has a shot at a winning record in 2009, but its a big if, IMO. they have talent, but whether that talent meshes together remains to be seen, especially in the brutal Western Conference.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

considering those players and plus they get a chance at a lottery this comming draft. i would say they will be close to under or a little over the .500 mark and 7th or 8th place, which is enough to get them into the playoffs next year. as for trades i dont think any team is really going to be considering madsen, doleac, and buckner. for walker theres a chance, but im not saying u guys can get an andres nocioni or an eddy curry for em. also u cant have sabastian telfair and brandon foye in the same team. i mean they gotta rid of telfair, considering there will be teams that will be willing to get him in the off season. how about jamaal tinsley for telfair. i mean jamaal would also bring that veteran presence to the wolfves.

Source(s): i bleed purple and gold.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Your right and if im right they have a fantastic team but Al jefferson has to play up to his ability. If he does theres no telling how far they can go. But i do have to say that there team should not consist of an overweight Antione Walker and a washed up Theo Ratliff. But i am saying that they should not have traded all they did to the heat they will make a deal in the offseason and get a high draft pick so watch out they could be a 7th seed in the playoffs next year. But dont excpect much more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think next 3-5 years the Blazers and the Twolves will be on top of the West

the current Western powers are aging

t-wolves will get a lottery pick in the draft

i say try to get a good permiter defender in the first round and get another shooter in the 2nd - then try to find a back up center for Ratliff in free agency or through a trade

i dont think Ratliff is washed up hes at least in the top 15 of centers i think

yeh they will still suck next season but much less suckier than this year

• Hi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They will be in the Lottery again next year too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

and if they ****** get MICHAEL BEASLEY, they will be pretty good

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.