How can you tell if its a dental abscess vs. sinus infection??

I do have a doctors appt for Friday to have it checked, but are there different symptoms between the two. I do believe my sinuses have been acting up during this winter but not my left cheek bone just feels like it is in major pain.

Also if it is an abscess can that be treated with antibiotics or is this a dental problem?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • rosieC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Symptoms of an abscessed tooth include:

Throbbing pain, especially when you chew or you touch your tooth.

Red, swollen gums.

A bad taste in your mouth.

Fever.

Swelling in any area of the mouth, face, upper or lower jaw, or neck.

Creamy or yellow pus or blood oozing from a red, swollen, pimplelike area in your mouth.

Your tooth turning pink or gray.

A feeling that the tooth is being raised out of its socket, and you cannot close your teeth together properly.

As the infection spreads, you may feel less pain. This is because the bone in your jaw has begun to dissolve and the nerve to the tooth may be dying. If too much bone dissolves, your tooth will become loose and may have to be removed.

Call your dentist immediately if you have a severe toothache that has not improved after an hour or two of home treatment. You may have an abscessed tooth, and the infection may be spreading.

Call your dentist to make an appointment as soon as possible if you have:

A mild to moderate toothache.

A toothache with a fever of 100° (38°) or higher.

Swelling in the mouth, jaw, or face that is new or getting bigger.

A tooth that is very sensitive or painful when pressure is applied to it (such as when you chew).

Symptoms of Sinus infection or acute sinusitis:

Pain and pressure in the face along with a stuffy or runny nose are the main symptoms of sinusitis. You also may have a yellow or greenish discharge from your nose. Leaning forward or moving your head often increases facial pain and pressure. The location of pain and tenderness may depend on which sinus is affected.

Pain over the cheeks and upper teeth is often caused by maxillary sinus inflammation.

Pain in the forehead, above the eyebrow, may be caused by frontal sinus inflammation.

Pain behind the eyes, on top of the head, or in both temples may be caused by sphenoid sinus inflammation.

Pain around or behind the eyes is caused by ethmoid sinus inflammation.

See an illustration of the location of normal facial sinuses.

Other common symptoms of sinusitis include:

Headache.

Yellow or greenish discharge from the nose or down the back of the throat.

Bad breath.

Stuffy nose.

Cough that produces mucus.

Fever.

Tooth pain.

Reduced sense of taste or smell

Other conditions that have symptoms similar to sinusitis may include allergies, toothaches, and colds or other upper respiratory infections. However, if you've had a cold that returns or gets worse after 7 days (called double sickening), you probably have a sinus infection rather than a cold or other upper respiratory infection.

You probably have a sinus infection or acute sinusitis. if the facial pain is located on left cheek.

Source(s): professional nurse
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

an abscess is an infection in the tooth. swelling, pain and tenderness in the area where the infection is.A dentist will have to take x-ray to determine abscess along with your symptoms. Then the dentists would write a prescription for antibiotics. Abscess if not treated could set up infection in other parts of your body. It is very important to seek the attention of a physician. The infection can go into your blood stream and cause septicemia (a blood infection) which is difficult to treat. Some of the outcomes of septicemia have been fatal. A sinus infection is an inflammation in the sinus passage way. Causing headaches,pressure in the nose ,eyes and cheek area, or on one side of the head. The pressure intensifies when bending over or lying down.May also be accompanied with a cough, fever or bad breath followed by thick green or yellow mucus from the nose.A feeling of having a really bad stuffy nose.Untreated sinus infection can lead to chronic sinusitis. Some people have even had to have surgery cause they weren't responding to the medication prescribed. Go to the dentist right away and your doctor. Cause I've had both of those problems at the same time and was on 2 different antibiotics.GOOD LUCK.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Source(s): Toothache Remedies http:/teres.info/ToothPainRelief
  • 4 years ago

Dental Abscess

A dental abscess is a collection of pus that can form inside the teeth, in the gums, or in the bone that holds the teeth in place. It’s caused by a bacterial infection.

An abscess at the end of a tooth is called a periapical abscess. An abscess in the gum is called a periodontal abscess.

Dental abscesses are often painful, but aren’t always. In either case, they should be looked at by a dentist.

It's important to get help as soon as possible, because abscesses don't go away on their own. They can sometimes spread to other parts of the body and make you ill.

Sinuses

Sinuses are simply chambers in your head that allow air to circulate to get warm and moist before it travels down to your lungs. Normally, the body is able to keep the sinuses clean and healthy, despite the dark, moist environment that bacteria love.

However, when conditions are right, bacteria can grow out of control in the sinuses, causing a sinus infection. One cause of sinus infections is the common cold. Interestingly enough, teeth can also cause sinus infections.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Sinus Infection Tooth Pain

• 4 years ago

Sinus Toothache

• 1 decade ago

My sister had an abscessed tooth, it is a dental problem. She waited a long, long time to go the dentist because she didn't have dental insurance and he said that it was so bad that it could have killed her. It is a very good that you have made yourself an appointment just to be safe!

• Emmy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

My father was just hospitalized for an absessed tooth that he waited too long to get treated, it spread to his sinuses and into his jaw.

Causing him tramendous pain, and he required surgery on his mouth and 8 days of iv antibiotics.

So if one thing goes untreated it can spread to many other parts of the body.

Sounds to me like that is what is happening with you.

I wouldn't wait till Friday, even if it just antibiotics to get you started I would see a doctor today.

My dad had to wait 4 days after the antibiotics for the tooth removal because he became too infected to operate on.

Don't wait too long. Good luck. Hope you feel better

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Stop Toothache in 10 Minutes

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Discover How to Stop Toothache in 10 Minutes! - No special medication required!! - http://howtostoptoothache.info/10-minutes-44.html

Simple steps you can take to stop toothache FAST with no special medication required.

+) Using only pain busting natural substances.

+) Various methods of pain killing application.

+) No more than 10 minutes to complete relief.

Simple remedies that the pharmaceutical industry DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW!!

Discover right now - http://howtostoptoothache.info/10-minutes-44.html

The fast action remedy to stop toothache!

Source(s): Stop toothache in 10 minutes - http://howtostoptoothache.info/10-minutes-44.html
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.