promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Galvanized Steel Poisoning?

My mother is in a weilding class, and today she accidentally welded Galvanized Steel. She doesn't feel good and she wants to know what the symptoms are for Galvanized Poisoning from breathing in the Fumes. Please help, I am worried for her.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Galvanized steel is nothing more than regular steel with zinc added. However, unless you wear the proper gear or ventilate the fumes away, the zinc can cause heavy metal poisoning. As someone who has suffered from it before, usually the symptoms are an upset stomach, feeling queasy, diarrhea, and sometimes hallucinations. If it is bad, you start getting joint pain, a metallic taste in your mouth, and develop a fever. Usually, you can treat mild zinc poisoning by drinking lots of fluids and flushing out your system as much as possible. Still, if the problems persist for more than an hour or so, it can be lethal with many blacksmiths having died as a result of it.

    If she still feels bad, call a poison control center and tell them she breathed in zinc fumes. They will probably tell you to go to the ER to start treatment. It is not something you wait out.

    Source(s): Welder and extra help from: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-z...
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    Galvanized Poisoning

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pamela
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awj5t

    Galvanized Steel Galvanized steel should never be used for cookware or food storage since this may lead to zinc poisoning (aka heavy metal poisoning). Exposure to high levels of zinc can cause lethargy, dizziness, nausea, fever, diarrhea, irritability, muscular stiffness and pain, loss of appetite, and reversible pancreatic and neurological damage. Pot stands and stoves constructed from galvanized steel can cause metal fume fever when heated. This is caused by the inhalation of zinc oxide fumes or dust produced when galvanized steel is welded or burned. The signs and symptoms can be vague (shaking chills, fever, body aches, headache, and fatigue) and are similar to those of the flu or a viral illness. Onset of symptoms often occur after well after exposure (3-10 hours) and makes the connection between using your stove and sickness less obvious than one would think. Symptoms usually resolve after 48 hours if you quit cooking with galvanized steel. Metal Fume Fever has been linked with occupational asthma and is a pretty noxious illness. ** We used a SS top from an old Milk Bulk Tank when we did Maple sap boiling - maybe check with some farmers for a possible connection??

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    i have a dog with a galvanized chain on her neck ''for looks'' can she get even the slightest harmful effect from it being on her 24/7?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Tell her to call the shop teacher. He will certainly know the health problems associated with welding.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You can get sick from breathing in any type of fumes, rather fire, or otherwise, rather you get "poisoning" or not. You usually have to swallow liquid poison to be poisoned.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.