What exactly is de facto censorship?

I was doing research an the death penalty, and i found that much of the data i needed was not published because of de facto censorship...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

De facto sensorship means that something, although not censored by any law, is still censored, by the fact that it is unavailable.

It may not be de facto censorship, you might just have to go to a library and look in actual books. Like paper books, because the information might just be too obscure to be published on the web.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

De facto means 'in fact' or 'of the fact' but it's not ACTUAL. So in this case even though no one ACTUALLY censored the info you're looking for, it's still unavailable so it MIGHT AS WELL be censorship because the result is the same.

• Mr. X
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

"Censorship" refers specifically to a government modifying, removing, or criminalizing certain speech or content. "De facto censorship" refers to unofficial censorship that results from a non-censorship policy, like when a government fails to disclose certain documents, or arrests someone for another offense when the true motivation is to stifle their free speech.

What constitutes "de facto censorship" is a matter of opinion. The author of whatever you read that mentioned de fact censorship obviously didn't approve of the government's actions.

• 1 decade ago

Specifically what data are you referring to???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.