2 Peter 2:21&22?

How does this fit in with those who think all you have to do is accept Jesus as your savior and you will be saved ?

Update:

Surely to accept salvation you must know what you are committing too .

Update 2:

Only a foolish person accepts a contract without understanding what he has agreed too.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Hebrews 6: 6 .., because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. 7 For example, the ground that drinks in the rain which often comes upon it, and that then brings forth vegetation suitable to those for whom it is also cultivated, receives in return a blessing from God. 8 But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed; and it ends up with being burned.

Jesus prays to his Holy Father that He watch over the disciples as they prove themselves to be no part of the world, adhere to His word as truth, and maintain precious oneness with the Father and the Son. Has not this prayer been wonderfully answered down to this present day as the anointed remnant and the great crowd serve together unitedly in bonds of love, while keeping neutrality toward the world, its violence, and its wickedness? How precious Jesus’ concluding words to his Father, Jehovah! “I have made your name known to them and will make it known,” said Jesus, “in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”—John 17:14, 16, 26.

Source(s): my bible study with JWs
  • 1 decade ago

Accepting Jesus as our Saviour is the foundation - by no other name are we saved (Acts 4:10-12). By accepting Him we follow his commandments (John 14:15) By comparison, a spouse is good and faithful to their partner out of love, yet just as a spouse may file for divorce, so may a Christian decide to reject Christ as their Lord. The reference to 2 Peter 2:21 & 22 concerns those who have walked in the knowledge of Jesus Christ but then turned from that knowledge...as we all have the free will to do at any time.

• 1 decade ago

Peter concludes this section of his letter by describing the consequences of failing to apply the knowledge that he said earlier is vital to “life and godly devotion.” (2 Peter 1:2, 3, 8) He writes: “Certainly if, after having escaped from the defilements of the world by an accurate knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they get involved again with these very things and are overcome, the final conditions have become worse for them than the first.” (2 Peter 2:20) How sad!

• 4 years ago

Sorry, I can't agree, and consider myself a "Christian scholar." Your statement that "the majority of modern day Christian scholars have concluded it was written by an imposter..." just isn't true. Saying it in your post won't make it true either. There are always scholastic theories and Christians accept that what is in the Bible, God intended to be there. We full well realize it's a matter of faith. You want to discredit Christianity by your repeated attempts to discredit the canon of the Bible. Sure you can always find a source to quote an opinion that is contrary, but there are many validations as well. You are fighting a losing battle that anti-Christians have been waging for years. If you don't believe in God or Christ, then none of the Bible is valid for you anyway. "Me thinks you protest too vehemently". Trying to convince yourself of something you know to be false? IN RESPONSE: Because I can name you many other Bible Scholars who disagree. Phillip Yancey, Thomas More, Billy Grahm, Ray Bailey, Max Lucadow, etc... So what? Even the scholars may disagree, that doesn't make it beyond a shadow of a doubt fact. You presented it as fact.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Judas was one of the apostles and yet he fell away from salvation. The teaching of salvation forever is a tickling of the ears and a man made doctrine. We as Christians are to be followers of Christ, and he was always busy teaching and preaching.

For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled, and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”—2 Tim. 4:3, 4, NW.

• TG
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It is similar to the following verses which teach that faith alone is NOT enough.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21

Notice the phrase "doeth the will of my Father". Merely saying that you believe is not enough.

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:19

The devils believe in God but their belief only does not save them.

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:16

Salvation is through faith (belief) AND baptism. Without baptism, there is no salvation.

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:" 1 Peter 3:21

• 1 decade ago

A person can go to Church and hear the Gospel, but this does not mean that they are Christian or have excepted Jesus, they will become good people for a time, but being good does not save you. After a while this people will return to their old ways and that is the ones that is being spoken of. These are also the ones that Jesus speaks of that put their hand to the plow and look back.

• 1 decade ago

This is showing that people would turn away. Also the Bible says "those that have endured to the end are the ones that would be saved". So the notion of "once saved always saved, as well as "faith without works" is moot.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is a super verse- I couldn't think of a better illustration!

Have you ever seen a dog throw up after eating grass, the puke comes out all greenish-brownish-yellowish (depending on what you fed him before) and slimy...... and yet it goes back to lick it all up again!

So disgusting- yet people (even on this site) do the very same thing spiritually. So gross!

• 1 decade ago

You are right on all counts!! I'm sorry ,but the people who belive this false doctrine,and preach it as truth,are wrong,and may be in danger! JESUS said that those who keep His comandments were his children,not the ones that say they are,and do just as they please. Read 2 Peter3:3&4,also,this says we must be ready,not of the world,but of the mind of GOD!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.