Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

If McCain was a hero, why did he twice try to commit suicide?

Mark A. Smith, a retired U.S. Army major and former Vietnam War POW, is speaking out against McCain. He also questions why McCain has the intestinal fortitude to be president – given admissions he twice tried to commit suicide while captive. Last time I checked a hero was someone who fights against death !

alright he suffered! but why does he stretch his experience too wide all the way to the white house? do we need a war lord or a president?

Favorite Answer

i get confused so easy --- i lose it all the time

This is one of the most stupid questions I've read, not only with the attempt at a somewhat arbitrarily finite definition of what a hero is, but also the clear lack of even the most basic grasp on the human psyche.

Seriously, what do you think war (particularly one as dirty and experimental as the Vietnam War), or hell, life in general, is, a damn Spielberg movie? Get a grasp on the reality, woman.

Edit:

As for a war lord (?) as president, I don't think military experience necessarily makes someone a war monger.

What, you working for the New York Times?

McCain at the time was a 32-year old POW who had been subjected to torture on a daily basis, much worse than any Guantanamo prisoner endured. Sorry that he doesn't seem to have the same intestinal fortitude that John Rambo had, at least up to your standards.

The questioning of the man's honor coming from you and your ilk is beneath contempt.

If you were being tortured every day would you want to continue living? I have never heard of Mark Smith. I do not know if he was a POW or if he is just saying he was. I do not know if he was ever in the Hanoi Hilton. What I do know is that this is the democrats trying to "swift boat" the presumptive republican candidate.

Last time I checked it took a brave person to stand up to torture. To stand up to depression. To stand up to suicidal feelings and to come out the other side and be the kind of person McCain has shown himself to be.

I'm definitely not in support of McCain for President, but, this is a non-issue. I don't think that anyone can pass judgment about a POW becoming suicidal while captive.

If we are going to question a candidate's qualifications, let's stick to issues, not smears (it goes both ways people).

Until you lose everything, your country abandons you, and you're being held prisoner in a strange country you have no right to judge what he's gone through.

Your question is a low blow, it's like asking Obama supporters if they think he'll spend the entire budget on fried chicken and grape soda. (No offense, everyone. Just trying to make a point.)

Are you so desparate to stop McCain that you have to sink so low to get dirt on him?

Look at his record, he wants to become less energy dependant on the Middle East. He wants to be fair on immigration (something his party hates him for). He has actual plans that may work for healthcare, the list goes on. This guy is as moderate as they come!

I am not a McCain supporter, but this question disgusts me. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here as I have never been tortured for 5+ years. Therefore, I can't state honestly what I would or wouldn't do under those circumstances.

Source(s): "do we need a war lord or a president?" Proof positive that we need an intelligence test to allow people to vote.

Judge,Judge,Judge...That all you people do, put yourself in the position that he was in, you don't know the torture that man went through.I am not a McCain supporter, but I have to stand up for him on this one.Hey, you have a computer, look it up John McCain's POW torture. Research then talk OK!

mccain is no hero by any means.what did he do to get that title.i wonder sometimes if he did;nt give information behind the backs of the other POW;S just to save his own ***.he acts like a sissy.and he;s also a damn lier.he says the war in iraq is going to end soon.after another ten years if he makes president.if any body should know what war can do to the human body and mind it;s him.he should be against the war in iraq it;s to much like viet nam all over again.he should be bringing our troops home as soon as possible.did this idiot learn anything as a POW in viet nam.

• .

Not a McCain supporter, don't like his stance on some issues but war hero or not, you try serving the army and fighting in combat. Let me know how your mental state holds up....

I am not a McCain supporter, but you should read about him sometime. This man went through extreme torture that would cause nearly any human to break! Although he isn't my choice in the election, I still respect him for the service he did for our country.