engine burns oil, can you use thicker oil to prevent this?

there is a leaky valve somewhere in the head on my engine, i suspect that one of the valves is letting oil into the cylinders, because the compression test shows all cylinders are good. can i use thicker oil to make it burn less oil?

Update:

my car is a 91 corolla with 173k miles

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely.

chance's are you used 5w-30w when you should had used a straight 30w or 40w, dont use 10w-anything, use a straight oil.

But then to solve the problem, STP make a oil additive in a blue plastic bottle for about $2. Add a bottle as needed or two and your problem will go away.

This stuff is great for keeping your oil clean, and giving very long milage to motors. We use it in New trucks, and some are over 350,000 miles and still show no ware or dirt. ( I use it in my personal S-80 and Vett, they runs cooler and cleaner.)

It will surely fix your problem.....let us know.

(any Wall Mart or auto parts store... "STP OIL TREATMENT" one pint bottle. $2)

• ...Show all comments
    • Adam P4 years agoReport

There is no advantage to making your oil thicker when it is cold, as no matter what viscosity the oil is, it will always be far more viscous when cold.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Use the manufacture recommended oil. Using a thicker oil or additive such as Lucas, STP or Bar Leaks can actually cause your car to burn more oil in several ways First it can effect the oils chemical formula and make it foam. Second it can have an adverse reaction on what additives the oil it has in it. Third it can make the oil to thick to properly lubricate and be harder to pump.

Just let it burn unless its excessive IE more that 1 qt in 1000 miles.

If it burning oil only on start up then it should be a worn valve seat. If it burning oil while its running its the wiper rings. The compression would still be good if the compression rings were good and not worn out.

Depending how much oil is being burnt,and when its being burnt. How old the car is and condition. A new or reconditioned engine or head or heads might be what you need.

Source(s): 30 Year ASE Master Tech
    • jon5 years agoReport

more than a qt every 1000 miles is not even considered excessive by some manufacturers own guidelines? For a 2003 Nissan Maxima, they state that anything between 1 qt every 700 miles or above is normal consumption. I am not sure what good these comment blogs make?

• 1 decade ago

No! Thicker oil won't cure the problem. It'll still burn it. If the compression is good then it is probably getting past the valve stem seal and running down the valve guide. I've seen the old Chevy's do that when they got sludged up and too much oil built up in the head. The high oil level would cause oil on the rear cylinders to be above the guides and it would leak down to the combustion chamber.

Source(s): Been repairing and restoring cars for 50 years.
  • 1 decade ago

Higher grade oil will work, but you will continually have to add thicker and thicker oil. The mystery oil works, but in my experience the Lucas Oil stabilizer works great.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

You shoulda kept up with the oil changes. Try some STP additive. NOTHING will prevent oil burning, but this may reduce it a little.

• 1 decade ago

No... This wont work... One thing to try that is cheap is marvel mystery oil.. Put one can in with the oil and one in the gas.. I had a lifter that was stuck and the stuff freed it up and it has run great ever since.

If you have buildup on the valve seats this may help, if the seat is worn it will need to be replaced.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

how old is your car? i wouldn't add thicker oil. if your burning oil too quickly is probably cause you might have to much enging friction. oil sludge build up on your engine can be making your car work harder, take it into the shop. that's your best bet.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

would be a waste of time why not fix whats broken... and stop trying to make do..... it will come back to bite ya sooner or later

• 1 decade ago

probably a valve stem seal.....go to your autoparts store and look for lucas oil additive.......or look it up on line......it works great

• 1 decade ago

Replace the heads with rebuilt and new gaskets before you damage anything else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.