sting

I need to cry....?

I have had a really bad time recently. In every manner.

What's thee SADDEST opera you've heard? something that goes sad to the very end. NO Wagner please! I just want to cry. I don't want to take two entire hours trying to 'decipher' complicated music.

THANKS!

P.S. NO modern operas. I watched Wozzeck twice and the second time, I threw up and woke up the other day with a headache. So NO modern, serial compositions.

I've heard Madame Butterfly 2000 times (would that be longer than my life? LOL!). It doesn't make me sad anymore.

It does, but it's a bit tiring to listen to an opera I've heard a lot before. I'm looking for something new.

Favorite Answer

G.Puccini - Tosca, very sad opera, Aria "E lucevan le Stelle"

G Puccini - Madame Butterfly very sad overall

G,F Handel - Rodelinda, all of it every single aria

G.F Handel - Radamisto based on L'amor Tirranico

G.F Handel - Rinaldo (two of the saddest arias ever "Lascia Ch'io Pianga" and "Cara Sposa"

Most of the work written for "Castrati" is very sad, Handel's operas were all written for counter tenors, try to find his works sung by counter tenors Andreas Scholl or Derek Lee Ragin, no mezzo sopranos who regularly replace counter tenors very poorly

You know the first time I saw a Pucchini opera that was pretty sad, but then I saw another one and realized wait a sec it's the same story. My music teacher explained opera story like this, Boy Meets Girl, Boy Get's Girl, Boy and Girl Seperate, Girl Dies. It's just not sad to me but rather emotionally intense and I really do not like listening to opera unless it's performed live. For some reason all the intensity is gone when it's not live. You mean you didn't like Wozzeck? Jesus it has one of the most beautiful parts in any piece of music (that solely instrumental part before you see the kid and it's in D rather than not being in a key like the rest of the Opera).

The Saddest Opera I have been involved with is Dialogue of the Carmelites by Francis Poulenc. I realise it a bit modern but the writing is tonal.

The end is spinechilling. A quick description.... a group of Carmelite nuns are sentenced to the guillotine during the French Revolution of helping enemies of the revolution. the last scene involves the nuns singing a solemn hymn. One by one they go (offstage) to the guillotine. There is the sound of the blade dropping and the hymn has one less voice until there is only one left and then the final voice is cut off (literally) and there silence with only the reverberance of the guillotine in the hall. Even in the pit we were moved, some to tears.

At the dress rehearsal there was a group of Carmelite nuns attending. By the end several of them had to be assissted from the theatre and given medical assisstance they were so overcome by the performance.

Well worth seeing or hearing.

The saddest opera I've heard is "Vesti la giubba" by Ruggiero Leoncavallo, as part of the opera "Pagliacci".

Also, the play "Un aura amorosa" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is merely a beautiful and sad piece at the same time. This piece is part of the opera "Cosi fan tutte".

(I've only heard these two operas in music only. I've never watched them, but it makes a pretty good play.)

Source(s): Wikipedia

Monteverdi's Orfeo

Purcell's Dido & Aeneas

Oh, and Douglas Moore's The Ballad of Baby Doe. One of my favorite (and one of the most heartbreaking) arias in the history of music is from this opera ("The Willow Song").

Oh the opera and a good glass of wine. Would you like to come over and sit with me? I have a few operas to sing for you.

From Alberich,

You've received so many responses, that I hope you don't overlook mine.

On my question of "most heartrending music", you edited that you haven't received the E-mail I sent you.

Was going to send you another, but suddenly dawned on me that you haven't posted your E-mail address on your profile.

Lets try this: you send me an E-mail, and maybe that way, we can connect.

I chose your answer as best for the above listed question: might want to review it.

Alberich

The ending in Bram Strokers Dracula always brings me to tears.

I've got the perfect tune for your needs; Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis.

I was going to say Tosca.

This is an interesting question. Until I think some more, I will stick with Tosca. I feel sad right now thinking about her death.