Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Is Johnny Depp being shunned by Oscar because of his Cherokee background ?

far as I know Johnny Depp has been nominated 3 times & stunning performances each time. Are they scared he's going to pull a Wounded Knee stunt, like his pal Marlon Brando,? what's with the bad press, just recently ? &....... joining the dots here, the critics putdown of Mr Depp's directorial debut "The Brave"l et's not be naive folks, surely they are playing politics not entertainment . What do others think about this?

Favorite Answer

No, I don't think so!

I think it's just bad luck.

There are many actors who have been nominated many times before winning one. He just need to give consistent performances. (I thought Sweeney Todd was not his best work, by the way...)

Take for example, Jack Nicholson, who doesn't have any Native American ancestry, he was nominated 5 times ("Easy Rider", "Five Easy Pieces", "The Last Detail", "Chinatown" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest") before finally winning one.

Not everyone wins on their first few nominations - I think Al Pacino, Paul Newman and Geraldine Page for example, were all nominated seven or eight times before they finally won.

Depp only has three nominations and he is still very young. It will only take one strong performance in the right year.

But make no mistake - one day he will win.

if kanye wests pompous stuck up ass can win a Grammy after throwing a fit on numerous award shows i think its ok that a guy who has a native American background can win a Oscar johnny depp is something nice for the ladies to look at but hes not that amazing of an actor

• LilyRT

that's got to be the most ridiculous theory I've heard since the flat earth society.

He wasn't going to win in 2004 for Pirates because Pirates was a light weight movie and he was going up against Sean Penn (whom everyone felt was overdue to be recognized.)

He wasn't going to win in 2005 because Finding Neverland was a mediocre movie and, frankly, his performance was the weakest in the field that year (Jamie Foxx in Ray, Don Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda, Clint Eastwood in Million Dollar Baby, and Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator)

I haven't seen any of the nominees this year, but Daniel Day Lewis consistantly gives performance after performance that completely blows the audience away.

Johnny Depp always gives a fun, charismatic, quirky performance. I certainly think he's got a best actor performance in him. But, he hasn't hooked up with the right role in the right movie in the right year yet.

Quit looking for conspiracy theories when there's a much more obvious explanation.

Okay, your conspiracy theory would work, if anyone actually knew of his ethnic background.

I like and have always enjoyed his work. But the fact remains, and it is a fact, he is a lightweight in the acting department. He is a terrific presence and has enough talent to not embarass himself, but he is not Oscar caliber. There are a lot of actors with more chops.

I'm not saying he's a bad actor, far from it, he's good. But not that good. He can give a high caliber performance, but he's like Harrison Ford, good but not great.

Sorry

He's not the only one. Kate Winslet is also an amazing actress who has been nominated about 5 or 6 times but hasn't taken it yet. it's sad but not really. as long as we the audience are pleased with their works that's all that really matters

He's a good actor, but not great.

His best shot was Donnie Brascoe, he needs to stop doing Tim Burton movies (dark comedies don't win Oscars).

Johnny Depp is admired by both public and others. he is very talented. and i am sure he would be very offended by your Stupid remarks. its Hollywood, everyone gets put down every now and then,,,and i'm sure Mr . Depp is quite secure.

You don't actually believe that do you. Who gives a flying flip if he's got Cherokee in his blood it doesn't make him any more or less of a person does it he's a great actor but maybe he just isn't a good director

I doubt it, I hear he's only 1/16 Cherokee. Just like everyone else.